Wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
  • Lighter wheels make the bike lighter - which is a good thing. For all kinds of reasons.
  • Aside from a small initial benefit in acceleration, there is no significant benefit is losing weight from the wheels, comapred to any other part of the bike.
  • Any disadvantages from accelerating heavier wheels will be returned in the form of slower decelleration
I think that's pretty much it - in a nutshell.
Is it also true that:
  • Taking 100g off the wheels is, other things being equal, good
  • Taking 100g off the frame is equally good
  • Taking 100g off the rider is equally good

Citius

Reducing weight from anywhere on the bike/rider is good. But that wasn't really the point of the discussion.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yeah, fine. But it's a question I'm interested in and I thought people on this thread might have an answer. Is there a problem?

Citius

Yeah, fine. But it's a question I'm interested in and I thought people on this thread might have an answer. Is there a problem?

Of course there's no problem. Just to reiterate, in case there was any doubt - anything you do to make yourself or the bike lighter will be a good thing. But in terms of making the bike lighter (in particular), the law of diminishing returns applies.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hmmm. Yes, but that doesn't answer my question! I'm still intrigued to know whether my earlier assumption - that while all weight reductions offer benefits, a given reduction offers different amounts of benefit depending on whether it's off the wheels, the frame or the rider - is correct or incorrect.

Hmmm. Yes, but that doesn't answer my question! I'm still intrigued to know whether my earlier assumption - that while all weight reductions offer benefits, a given reduction offers different amounts of benefit depending on whether it's off the wheels, the frame or the rider - is correct or incorrect.
Weight is weight, no matter where you take it off or put it on. You cannot feel whether you've taken it off the wheels, the frame or your stomach (except when you go in deep aero position and it no longer touches the top tube).

Citius

Have you not read the thread and clicked on the links? We've just done all this.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Weight is weight, no matter where you take it off or put it on. You cannot feel whether you've taken it off the wheels, the frame or your stomach (except when you go in deep aero position and it no longer touches the top tube).
Yes, I read the thread and the links! I wasn't convinced. I'm still not. It doesn't tally with my personal experience in switching from heavier to lighter wheels. So be it.

Citius

Yes, I read the thread and the links! I wasn't convinced. I'm still not. It doesn't tally with my personal experience in switching from heavier to lighter wheels. So be it.

So what was your experience? I don't think you've ever articulated it here.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
So what was your experience? I don't think you've ever articulated it here.
That going from heavy wheels to light wheels made a big difference. The difference in weight was probably of the order of a 750ml bottle of water attached to the frame. But whereas riding with or without a water bottle seems to me to make to all intents and purposes zero difference to the ride, switching from a 2.25kg wheelset to a 1.75Kg wheelset made the ride much faster, nipper, more responsive, more fun.

Citius

That going from heavy wheels to light wheels made a big difference. The difference in weight was probably of the order of a 750ml bottle of water attached to the frame. But whereas riding with or without a water bottle seems to me to make to all intents and purposes zero difference to the ride, switching from a 2.25kg wheelset to a 1.75Kg wheelset made the ride much faster, nipper, more responsive, more fun.

As has been mentioned several times previously, any weight saving is good. I don't think there is any argument there. You seem a bit confused by the weight saving though - was it 750g (as your water bottle analogy suggests) or 500g (as your quoted weight differential suggests). Also, presumably you are using the same tyres as before? Also, do you still notice these differences with each ride, or are you used to it now?

JMAG

Über Member
I purchased the campagnolo Scirocco 35's (£170).....boy are they good !

Your post got me looking into these wheels and I found overwhelmingly positive reviews about them. I managed to pick up a new set of the older version with regular rims for £107 including new Continental Ultra Sport tyres and tubes. Thanks :smile:

Please tell us what speed increase you experienced, how much nippier the ride was (please use SI units only) and how much more responsive the wheels were. Also, whilst you are at it, why not define responsive and tell us how to identify responsiveness.

Top Bottom