Wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MDA 998

Hi all i am looking to upgrade the standard wheels on my Roubaix but not sure what to go for, i am looking in the region of up to £350 so either Shimano RS500, Ultegra or Mavic Ksyrium

Hi all i am looking to upgrade the standard wheels on my Roubaix but not sure what to go for, i am looking in the region of up to £350 so either Shimano RS500, Ultegra or Mavic Ksyrium
I could be wrong but I think all Shimano wheels are cup and cone bearings, whereas Mavic are the less maintenance needy cartridge type bearings. Some folk prefer the cup and cone but I prefer the cartridge type.

Tim Hall

What do you think is wrong with the current wheels? Which of those attributes will your possible choices of new wheels improve upon?

OP
OP
MDA 998

MDA 998

The problem is i have a few mates who work at bike shops and they are Shimano biased because spokes and spares for Mavic are really hard to get apparently, My Roubaix wouldn't really look great with Grey wheels ie Ultegra hence why i mentioned Mavic as they would look good and hopefully perform as well as the Shimano i have been used too

The problem is i have a few mates who work at bike shops and they are Shimano biased because spokes and spares for Mavic are really hard to get apparently, My Roubaix wouldn't really look great with Grey wheels ie Ultegra hence why i mentioned Mavic as they would look good and hopefully perform as well as the Shimano i have been used too
Only time I ever saw the Mavic's spare being a problem was for a larger proportioned bloke on a cycling holiday everybody else I've known with them (including my self previously) have described them as near bomb proof :okay:

Tim Hall

Stock wheels are generally of lesser quality and the 1st upgrade is wheels for me
I looked up your bike and searched out where people had asked similar questions. This reply tickled me:
Never really understood this wheel malarkey. The manufacturers seem to be in cahoots with the journalists who invariably when reviewing a 2grand bike slate the stock wheels as heavy / flexy / unresponsive / some other nebulous term, and recommend they be immediately replaced with something costing another £500
If I ever buy a 2 grand bike I want it to be the dog's danglies out of the box. Audi don't sell the R8 with skinny tyres and steel wheels with plastic trims..

Which doesn't help you I admit. Get the prettiest ones you can afford.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Mavic spares hard to find? Pish.

I have had a couple of pairs of Ultegra wheels (6700 and 6800) I think fo the money they are great wheels. Pretty light, they run very smooth, tubeless ready and bomb proof. The looks are not very inspiring, but I can't see them when i am riding the bike!
I had a pair of mavic SSC SL ksyrium wheels. They were also light and strong, but again I think they are not the greatest looking set of wheels! The problems I had with them were the common mavic death squeal (easily fixed, but annoying) The rear hub needed replacing (2 week wait) and I found the rims wore pretty quickly.
I prefer cup and cone, and the new system that Shimano use is very easy to use.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran

Mavic Ksyrium everytime. The only time you will need a spare will be to replace them with Mavic Ksyrium i.e. never, although only had mine 2 years and used every weekend.

Newman8

Why not just get some proper hand made wheels? I only dabbled in factory off-the-shelf wheels once, as I thought they looked pretty at the time, but they really were a big let down

Mavic Open Pro are still the best all-rounders I believe (whatever anyone says about a couple of mm extra width). Use decent Sapim spokes and, for your price range, Miche hubs and you can't go wrong: Fast, light, comfy, strong and reliable all at the same time. Ambrosio Excellight are very similar rims too.

Or... Try the new slighty wider and deeper Mavic Open Pro UST - or the 31mm deep 'semi-aero' rims from Kinlin if you fancy a more modern stealth look. Not actually used either of these, but they both look a great spec for the money. I believe Hunt (and also other brands) are actually just rebadged Kinlins.

Look for Harry Rowland on Facebook. Very reliable, good quality job with a quick turnaround.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Fitted these one onto my wifes bike, she road them on her first TT of the year on Saturday, she loved them, apparently they roll for ever, her words not mine, She posted her fastest time for that distance. so we will see how they hold up long term, i am going to put them on my own bike and see what they feel like. :okay: We did stick with the tubes though, she is quite handy when it comes to puctures, maybe go tubeless when i start hearing good reviews from people i know who ride them, https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...season-aero-road-wheelset-1420g-28deep-22wide

Top Bottom