Wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TankEbike

Hi I purchased a carrera crossfire e bike this year from Halfords what I would like to know if you can upgrade the wheels for wider ones as I would like to to go off road not mountain but gravel trail etc the tyres I have on it now seem a bit narrow for this cheers

Brandane

Legendary Member
Could you not just change the tyres then, rather than upgrade the wheels?
What width are the current rims? You will probably find they can take wider tyres without any issues.
I am running my e-bike with 38mm tyres, the supplied tyres were 32mm. It's a Merida e-Scultura 400.

Edit to add... Out of curiosity, I looked up the spec of your bike. The supplied tyres should be 40mm wide. For gravel/trail, non MTB type riding, they should be fine - unless your after something with a different tread pattern? Puncture protection?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TankEbike

Could you not just change the tyres then, rather than upgrade the wheels?
What width are the current rims? You will probably find they can take wider tyres without any issues.
I am running my e-bike with 38mm tyres, the supplied tyres were 32mm. It's a Merida e-Scultura 400.

I’ll have a heck tomorrow cheers for that

CXRAndy

Guru
A quick Google search reveals your bike has 40mm wide Kenda tyres. These look to be commuter type tread.

40mm is fine for gravel type trails. A better tread pattern like a Schwalbe G One or WTB Riddler or Raddler gravel tyre.

Top Bottom