Wheel wobbles side to side why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So i only just noticed this when i got back from cycling but the front wheel moves side to side, (rear wheel doesn't) The quick release lever is also loose even when closed on front wheel but it's not like the wheel come off. Anyone know why? (i've had close calls but never been in a accident or never had contact with another veichle during close passes/calls)
Kinda worried as it's a new hybrid bike only had it for around 5 weeks.. I do have a free bike service check when it's been six weeks.

Downside is i need my bike for thursday because the stables i go to are middle of nowhere. Should i still be ok to use it thursday morning?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If above doesn’t work take it back to the shop.

vickster

Legendary Member
So i only just noticed this when i got back from cycling but the front wheel moves side to side, (rear wheel doesn't) The quick release lever is also loose even when closed on front wheel but it's not like the wheel come off. Anyone know why? (i've had close calls but never been in a accident or never had contact with another veichle during close passes/calls)
Kinda worried as it's a new hybrid bike only had it for around 5 weeks.. I do have a free bike service check when it's been six weeks.

Downside is i need my bike for thursday because the stables i go to are middle of nowhere. Should i still be ok to use it thursday morning?
You don't need to wait 6 weeks if you've been using the bike. Take it to the shop for its check if you can't sort the QR yourself

Sharky

Guru
[QUOTE 5141124, member: 9609"]does the Quick release not just need tightening up ? you do realise it turns round like a nut. turn it round once clockwise then try closing the lever, the lever should be moderately tight to close. if its still not tight give it another turn[/QUOTE]
This sounds the most likely cause.
Front forks have safety protrusions on them (aka lawers lips) to stop a wheel coming off. So the QR's have to be over loosened to remove a wheel and then tightened up again when re-fitting.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

This sounds the most likely cause.
Front forks have safety protrusions on them (aka lawers lips) to stop a wheel coming off. So the QR's have to be over loosened to remove a wheel and then tightened up again when re-fitting.

Thanks i'll try again when it's light outside. But i haven't had to change or remove the wheel as i haven't had a flat yet. So if this is the case why has it become loose? When i got it they show you how to remove and put wheel back in but they tightend it properly and it was fine for 5 weeks till i noticed today.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks i'll try again when it's light outside. But i haven't had to change or remove the wheel as i haven't had a flat yet. So if this is the case why has it become loose? When i got it they show you how to remove and put wheel back in but they tightend it properly and it was fine for 5 weeks till i noticed today.

They can loosen, it's sonething you should check regularly, not just when you remove the wheels, every few rides. I find that if you bounce the front wheel a few times on the ground, you can tell.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
But i haven't had to change or remove the wheel as i haven't had a flat yet. So if this is the case why has it become loose?
Disc brakes can cause the front QR to loosen.

When you brake there's a force downwards on the axle, and if the QR isn't tight enough to resist the downwards force fully, the disc side of the axle will move down a little, and then back up when you stop braking and your weight pushes down on the fork. The back and forth movement will gradually loosen the QR adjustment.
It happens quicker if the adjuster nut is the same side as the disc, and if you are in the habit of braking hard.

On the back wheel, braking pushes the axle upwards, where it can't move further, so there's generally no problem with the rear QR.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Thanks, i tried fixing it it just came loose again next time i tried riding it but when i took it for free service i forgot to mention about it but when i got it back i sorted it. So they must of noticed it during the free service.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Disc brakes can cause the front QR to loosen.

When you brake there's a force downwards on the axle, and if the QR isn't tight enough to resist the downwards force fully, the disc side of the axle will move down a little, and then back up when you stop braking and your weight pushes down on the fork. The back and forth movement will gradually loosen the QR adjustment.
It happens quicker if the adjuster nut is the same side as the disc, and if you are in the habit of braking hard.

On the back wheel, braking pushes the axle upwards, where it can't move further, so there's generally no problem with the rear QR.
Thanks as i said above it got fixed. To be honest i probably do break too hard. (if you mean squezzing breaks too hard) The nut wasn't on same side of disc though but QR is.

Thanks as i said above it got fixed. To be honest i probably do break too hard. (if you mean squezzing breaks too hard) The nut wasn't on same side of disc though but QR is.
If you brake too hard, your wheel will lock and you'll go head over arse over the bars. Other than that, there is no such thing as braking too hard for a disc setup. He just means, if you are more agressive with your braking, it could loosen sooner than it otherwise might. So, no you are not braking too hard. Quite likely your QR wasn't kept tight enough. You should check it before every ride. Braking hard is not really the issue. If you aren't doing your basic safety checks before every ride, you are taking your life into your own hands. Learn about all the basic safety checks and practice them religiously.

I must admit, I'm a bit more lax about the QR checks these days, but I have taken them off and put them back on again 1 million times, so know how to install them securely. Still, I do check mine two or three times a week, but I ride twice daily as a minimum. It's recommended you do it before every ride, particularly if you are not 100% confident of your ability to fit QR wheels to bikes. This is a case as do as I say, and not as I do.

If you want to learn more about @andrew_s 's comment, see here: https://web.archive.org/web/2012042...djames/home/disk_and_quick_release/index.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

If you brake too hard, your wheel will lock and you'll go head over arse over the bars. Other than that, there is no such thing as braking too hard for a disc setup. He just means, if you are more agressive with your braking, it could loosen sooner than it otherwise might. So, no you are not braking too hard. Quite likely your QR wasn't kept tight enough. You should check it before every ride. Braking hard is not really the issue. If you aren't doing your basic safety checks before every ride, you are taking your life into your own hands. Learn about all the basic safety checks and practice them religiously.

I must admit, I'm a bit more lax about the QR checks these days, but I have taken them off and put them back on again 1 million times, so know how to install them securely. Still, I do check mine two or three times a week, but I ride twice daily as a minimum. It's recommended you do it before every ride, particularly if you are not 100% confident of your ability to fit QR wheels to bikes. This is a case as do as I say, and not as I do.

If you want to learn more about @andrew_s 's comment, see here: https://web.archive.org/web/2012042...djames/home/disk_and_quick_release/index.html

thanks.
i always check my brakes, tires and chain, lights are working before i go out i just sometimes forget about QR's.

Top Bottom