Wheel Woes again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Blimey this year has not been a good year for me with wheelsets.
This first wheelset that came as standard with my Specialized Allez decided to self destruct the free hub. After taking on board the advice of this great forum i decided to ditch them and buy some better wheels. Along came some Fulcrum Quattro wheels and over all I've been really pleased them up until now. They've started making a horrible random clicking noise whilst out riding. To begin with i couldn't track down were the noise was coming from. Concentrating on the road in front and trying to catch this intermittent noise was hard to track down exactly where it was coming from. Today's ride, it was driving me nuts. Being somewhat OCD my ears just being attracted to this awful anoying sound that was spoiling that nice hollow smooth noise my bike usually gives off.
So tonight ive just got the bike on the bike stand determined to track down this dreadful noise, and eventually tracked it down to the rear hub. After whipping off the free hub and checking the spring loaded paws and the free hub bearing it all seems to be fine. The rear hub bearing on the non drive side though is a different story. Its absolutely knackered and can barely turn it with my finger. Luckily the weather is going to be pretty rubbish by all accounts for a few days, so i suppose now is a good time to get it sorted.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cartridge bearing ? - easy to replace.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cartridge bearing ? - easy to replace.
That's exactly what they are buddy. I tried knocking it out but its being somewhat stubborn. I think i will just take the wheel to my local friendly bike store tomorrow morning and let them do it. They will be able to identify the correct bearing and fit it less ham fisted than me. It shouldn't cost to much(hopefully lol)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your other option is to pop the seal off with a pin, and look at the condition - if rusted, bit. If not, then a good blast out with brake cleaner or similar to disolve the crud, then grease them up. Happened to my SRAM jockey wheels - one seized (tiny cartridge bearing), and it was lack of grease from factory. Cleaned them out, and re-greased.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Your other option is to pop the seal off with a pin, and look at the condition - if rusted, bit. not, then a good blast out with brake cleaner or similar to disolve the crud, then grease them up. Happened to my SRAM jockey wheels - one seized (tiny cartridge bearing), and it was lack of grease from factory. Cleaned them out, and re-greased.
Thanks for good advice. I may just well do that in the morning after my eyes have cleared up from the sherbets ive had tonight down the local. I'll let you know the outcome 😊

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for good advice. I may just well do that in the morning after my eyes have cleared up from the sherbets ive had tonight down the local. I'll let you know the outcome 😊
I managed to drift the bearing out today. It looks in a pretty sorry state but the good news is that there dirt cheap and easily available. After googling the serial number stamped on the old bearing i will now get hold of some tomorrow (hopefully)and be back on the road again causing trouble 😊👍😊

gbb

Legendary Member
Refitting the new bearings, a couple options....hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs..
Place the new bearing over the hole, make sure its square, place the old bearing on top and hit that. Tap it in a tad, check its square, continue. Dont hit the inner ring, it will probably damage the races.
Or use the studding, nuts and washers method. I dont bother with that, firm and careful use of a hammer/mallet does it every time...just make sure it goes in straight. If it's not, stop, carefully remove the bearing and start again...dont hit the inner ring.
On my Fulcrums , the bearings only have one seal, bearings generally come sealed both sides. Flip one seal out, it will reduce friction.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's great advice @gbb
You've certainly not teaching me to "suck eggs" buddy. Im always greatfull for advice.
As the weathers been atrocious tonight i set about replacing my bearings. I used a socket set to drive the bearings in, making sure it only covered the outer ring. It went in easily enough and as you say keeping a keen eye on getting them in squarely. I gave everything a good clean and lightly greased all the contact points. One thing i think i messed up on though, is that i forgot to lubricate the pawls and rachet in the free hub. It now sounds quite noisy compared to before. I don't mind the sound to be honest, and im in to minds to just leave it be, but at the same time i,m concerned it may cause undue wear. The old original bearings were only sealed on the one side. Surely with the other side opened ended this would allow moisture and dirt to get in causing premature failure. The new ones are sealed both sides so hopefully will last a bit longer.
All the very best 👍👍

gbb

Legendary Member
It's a trade off, one seal or two. One will give you a freer running bearing and therefore a more free running wheel.
Two seals, more friction but less chance of moisture or dirt ingress.
Certainly on the last set of bearings I replaced with one seal, there was no evidence of moisture or dirt ingress, it's a pretty sterile area in there, sealed by the seal in each side. But if belt and braces is your preference, that's all that matters. :okay:

Top Bottom