Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldridge

Hi folks

After a bit of advice really. I'm looking at buying a new rear wheel for my carbon Boardman road bike, the budget could be stretched to £300.

What would be a good buy and would you go for a deep rim carbon wheel or not?

Opinions welcomed please/advice.

Thanks for looking.

Eldridge.

Sharky

Guru
Rim or disc brakes?
If rim, will need brake blocks for carbon which makes it a bit tedious if swapping with a non carbon wheel at times.

It depends on whether or not you’re talking rim or disc brakes, and the sort of riding you do. If you go Carbon rim brake, you’ll need the different brake pads, and they are a bit of a nightmare in the wet, or if you’ve got a lot of high speed descents, disc brakes don’t have the same issues, but deep sections can be a bit scary in cross winds, either way.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Ah ok. I don't have disc brakes so would be rim. I have heard about the braking issue in the wet but wasn't entirely sure it was true.

Once the wheel is on the bike it won't be getting changed out.

Any recommendations folks

Thanks so far for the input.

Eldridge.

si_c

Guru
Hunt are good. Also take a look at DCR wheels.

I'd suggest a good rim, something like an h plus son archetype with 28 or better 32 spokes and a good hub. I'm a big fan of Shimano hubs due to their ease of maintenance.

£300 should get you a good wheelset, but I'd avoid carbon, especially at that price point.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

A quick update

I opted for a Mavic Cosmic rear wheel after advice from my local cycle mechanic, I'm yet to ride the bike though, thanks for all the suggestions.

Best regards

Eldridge.

Top Bottom