Wheelchair pushers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If we're going any sort of a distance my wife has recently started using a wheelchair. What I'm finding though is that when we're going uphill the angle that the handles put your wrists at when you're digging in can become uncomfortable
carer-pushing-woman-in-a-wheelchair-in-the-english-countryside-uk-ban880.jpg

Longer and steeper the hill, more uncomfortable it gets.
So I thought that there was likely to be some form of attachment available to lessen this, I've had a look around and found this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foldable-Push-Bar-Ergo-Wheelchairs/dp/B00MH1B3QK
Which isn't available anymore.
And this one
https://www.rehabmart.com/product/go-grip-wheelchair-handles-40061.html
Which is in America.
Does anybody have a product they could suggest that would do something similar or perhaps another solution they have found through experience?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Is there anything like this https://www.disabilitypartnership.org.uk/services/mils.shtml near you?

FWIW you have my sympathy. It is not until you have to push someone in a wheelchair that you appreciate just how heavy, awkward and cumbersome they can be.

The stock of that particular shop is far more than appears from the front page.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Is there anything like this https://www.disabilitypartnership.org.uk/services/mils.shtml near you?

FWIW you have my sympathy. It is not until you have to push someone in a wheelchair that you appreciate just how heavy, awkward and cumbersome they can be.

The stock of that particular shop is far more than appears from the front page.

Electric Mobility Scooter jobbie?
Thank you for the replies.
We already have the chair, it's use is occasional dependent on distance. The issue is only when going up hill and even then only when there is sustained effort like the picture above. So the question really is if anyone has experience of or knowledge of attachments that will fit on to the handles of a standard chair. On the plus side it a bloody good leg workout!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 5108984, member: 45"]How about fitting bar ends, angled towards each other so that they're not in the way when pushing normally?

They'd also make handy bag hooks.[/QUOTE]
that's what the person in the chair is for :whistle:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Thank you for the replies.
We already have the chair, it's use is occasional dependent on distance. The issue is only when going up hill and even then only when there is sustained effort like the picture above. So the question really is if anyone has experience of or knowledge of attachments that will fit on to the handles of a standard chair. On the plus side it a bloody good leg workout!

That shop, or if one like it is closer to you, may be able to advise. It's not as if the problem is unique to you.

I wish I'd know there were solutions for that years ago.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I friend of mine was confined to a chair for a while... it certainly made me think again about our aesthetically pleasing York stone paving slabs and occasional cobbled streets ...nice flat tarmac please!
We were in Rome recently for a holiday, so many cobbles!! The pavements were very badly maintained, full of pot holes, the supermarkets were almost impossible to get round and the list goes on, it was a fabulous holiday but it was a real eye opener to the difficulties.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5108984, member: 45"]How about fitting bar ends, angled towards each other so that they're not in the way when pushing normally?

They'd also make handy bag hooks.[/QUOTE]
Yes, that's the kind of thing. I haven't measured the size of the chair handles yet to see if bicycle bar ends would fit and was wondering if there was something specific that someone may have used.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's the kind of thing. I haven't measured the size of the chair handles yet to see if bicycle bar ends would fit and was wondering if there was something specific that someone may have used.
If you decide that bar ends would do the job, I would be happy to donate the pair which I have just removed from my mountain bike. If you think you could use them, PM me your address and I'll get them in the post to you! :okay:

Bar-ends.jpg

Top Bottom