Wheelchair pushers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Having the 'crossbar' would make pushing easier... but would it affect the fold?
As far as I can see the handles remove after pressing a QR bearing/button which leads me to a 2nd point, when fitting 'bar-ends' to each side would that not cause a twisting force to be applied to the QR possibly damaging it.

@Mugshot how about these.. the image shows them fitted the way you describe
https://www.themobilityaidscentre.co.uk/push-handle-extensions

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Not sure about the tube size of the handles, but how about putting a couple of bends in a piece of 22mm? Would it fit over the handles? I suspect the biggest your pipe bender can take is 22 but you may need 28 if you want to fit over the handles. You could also wrap bike handle tape around it.
Yes 22mm, I'm not sure on the diameter of the handles will try to find a tape to measure them later, not sure I'm too keen on DIYing it too much to be honest, I think I'd rather something that was secure but also relatively easily removable for folding but safe too, not sure I could get all of that with homemade.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Having the 'crossbar' would make pushing easier... but would it affect the fold?
As it is there it certainly looks like it would so that would be a no-no, that one may well be hinged in the middle of course but it's not avaliable for the model my wife has :cursing:

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Finally got round to measuring the diameter and it looks like it's around 24mm around the tube and around 32mm around the grip, so pretty much handle bar size.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5116863, member: 45"]I asked a friendly OT about adaptations for this last week. Her response was that if you're having to do that much pushing uphill and requiring that amount of effort, you shouldn't really be doing it and should be looking at alternative options. And that's why you'll struggle to find any adaptations to adapt the hand position.[/QUOTE]
Really? Well, thank you very much for asking, not sure I agree with her assessment though.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5116866, member: 45"]That's probably the standard line that you'll get from a professional, as otherwise they could be seen as recommending options which might not help your physical health in the long term. But we do what we need to do don't we?[/QUOTE]
I think you're absolutely spot on.
Thank you for quoting my nonsensical reply before I had a chance to edit it too :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[QUOTE 5116863, member: 45"]I asked a friendly OT about adaptations for this last week. Her response was that if you're having to do that much pushing uphill and requiring that amount of effort, you shouldn't really be doing it and should be looking at alternative options. And that's why you'll struggle to find any adaptations to adapt the hand position.[/QUOTE]
Amazing! No suggestion as to what these options are was there?

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think @User raises a serious point. Have you asked for an OT assessment?
No I haven't. The issue isn't the physical demands, I do far more demanding bike rides. On the bike though I can shift about, stand and change hand position, with the wheelchair I don't have the options. So you end up with your wrists being held in an extended position when what you could do with is a bit of relief which could easily be achieved by having the option to move them around. Maybe I need to fit some drops to it?

youngoldbloke

I think @User raises a serious point. Have you asked for an OT assessment? It might be worth it to see if there is some adaptations or a new wheelchair that can be offered.
IME (in the NHS) the OT was only concerned with the CLINICAL needs of the wheelchair USER. If you wanted/needed more than the clinical assesment allowed you had to go down the private route, using the value of the wheelchair voucher as part payment for the chair which would actually meet the needs of the user and helper. In our case you are looking at an outlay of thousands, even with the voucher.

youngoldbloke

[QUOTE 5116877, member: 45"]She wouldn't be the person to advise, seeing as she has no idea about the situation other than my vague summary of the issue.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if she has ever pushed anyone in a wheelchair? The majority of NHS supplied are hard enough to push even when empty!

Top Bottom