Wheeler Dealers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Watched an episode recently where they bought a tatty Rolls Royce Silver Spirit, it was given a basic tidy up, a bit of a rattle can paint job, and was put up for sale, lo and behold the original owner bought it, I reckon it was a con that the owner didn’t sell it, they used it for the programme, and the owner got it road worthy in lieu of payment, what does the CC crew think

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think anything you see on TV is there to entertain; all kinds of wheezes are used to create a satisfying experience for the viewer. Not to be confused with reality!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes I don't doubt that's what happened. All reality-type TV shows are not telling us the full story.

I remember once I went to Widecombe fair (a historic farming fair in Devon) and they were holding a bale tossing competition. The TV crew had actually arrived after the competition had ended due to traffic, so they asked anyone who was around to toss bales over the hurdle and filmed it, with a reporter saying things like "it's really hotting up now, the crowd are on the edge of their seats to see who's going to win". So the TV watching audience thought a real competition was on, but in reality it had all ended an hour ago and the real winner had left, whilst the bystanders were simply having a go

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Watched an episode recently where they bought a tatty Rolls Royce Silver Spirit, it was given a basic tidy up, a bit of a rattle can paint job, and was put up for sale, lo and behold the original owner bought it, I reckon it was a con that the owner didn’t sell it, they used it for the programme, and the owner got it road worthy in lieu of payment, what does the CC crew think

It's entertainment and not a documentary so don't worry about it. The amount of fiction in current affairs on the other hand.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I think Mike is a fat annoying twerp (I've met him and can confirm this) so I don't watch it.

I've met him too and he was lovely a good laugh and willing to chat about all sorts of stuff. The only time he talked about himself was when I asked him stuff.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed Fishers, you can only speak as you find on the day.

He's the patron of a charidee with which my Mum's feller is an active fundraiser, and thats how I met him . He wasn't so cheery and chummy that day for some reason or other to do with the event, and being flanked by a minder was laughable because a) I've done contract BG work and his shadow didn't have a clue, and b) it's Mike Brewer FFS.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I liked all the wheeler dealers. Edd and Ant were excellent, even though it was well organised production. It all went when tits up the new company in the states wanted Mike to be more involved with the repairs/upgrades.

It got back on track later when Ant settled in the job

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
If you watch Edd China's Youtube channel bits of the behind-the-scenes were revealed.

Paul the mechanic sourced the cars, not Mike Brewer, and did most of the mechanic-ing. They were often 'sold' to crew members/friends/etc. rather than as televised.

That does not surprise me at all, I get that it's just entertainment, but at least Edd China let us see Silent Paul helping out

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've never liked Mike but i used to enjoy the show in more humble, earlier seasons when they had a poky garage and a low budget. Seemed more relatable to me. If i remember correctly, they got a Capri 1.6. Their budget was super low, i forget now, anyway, Edd had to replace the front wing maybe the pair, i can't remember and got crappy pattern parts and had to hammer it into shape pretty much and paint it himself. The paint job was rubbish and they admitted it. They aired it anyway which i think was admirable and down to earth. I watch snippets of the later ones and its all bowl-axe to me...

CXRAndy

Guru
I like watching the channels from the states where they do full custom jobs. Truly astonishing the quality of workmanship and the owners very, very large cheque books

Top Bottom