Wheels - any scientific evidence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm thinking of possibly buying a 'better' set of wheels and it occurred to me that I have only ever heard subjective and anecdotal 'evidence' that some wheels are better than others.

I readily accept that, component wise, an expensive wheel would most likely be of better quality than a cheap one - but has anyone done any objective/scientific tests to show if there really are noticeable performance differences between any of the commonly available 'good' wheels?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You need to get the 'really round' ones :tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Posts.

Argumentative posts on the subject, before the thread has to be locked! :laugh:

Argumentative?
I'm just trying to find out if there is any objective studies around to enable me to make an informed decision.:smile: Don't know about anyone else.

Citius

I know, but is there a readily available data base that would enable one to make an objective decision of one brand over another?

Not really no. Any wheel choice is going to be a compromise between your budget, the type of riding you do and whatever you happen to like the look of.

Argumentative?
I'm just trying to find out if there is any objective studies around to enable me to make an informed decision.:smile: Don't know about anyone else.
No you're not.

There's little benefit of lighter wheels.

Likely to be a larger benefit of more aerodynamic ones, especially if you're a faster rider. Unfortunately, my experience, and knowledge doesn't extend to calculating the performance benefits of aerodynamics.

I'll leave that to people more intelligent than me.

midlife

Guru
*Monty Python* Is this a ten minute argument?

BITD moving from HP to lighter sprints/tubs made a noticeable difference.

Shaun

Top Bottom