Wheels as an Upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm thinking of upgrading my Flyer for the summer and have seen many posts saying that one if the biggest single upgrades to go for is a new set of wheels/rims/tyres.
Why is this? I realise that some deep section rims and flat section/fewer spokes can cut aero drag a bit. I also appreciate how "better" tyres might offer some reduction in rolling resistance too. However, are either of these really that big as far as performance goes, or will me working in basic fitness and shedding a few more pounds make more difference?
Over the last six months I have lost about two stone through cycling, and fitness is now to a point where a 60-75 mile ride at 17mph is perfectly achievable. The Genesis still has its box standard rims and some nice, comfortable Challenge Strada Bianca 30mmm tyres that do a good job of protecting my delicate behind from bumps and ruts.
Thoughts, comments and suggestions please.

J

D

Deleted member 1258

I have a flier, its a nice bike but the standard wheels are a bit basic, loose bearings with cup and cone. I upgraded my wheels just after I brought it with a pair of Planet X AL30's with sealed bearings, they made a noticeable difference to the way the bike rode. I have an Eastway which again has basic wheels on it, if I upgraded the wheels it would make a noticeable difference to the way bike rides, the frames nice and its got a Tiagra group set on it but it appears they have skimped on the wheel set.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXAL30DTR/planet-x-al30-d-track-wheelset

Tim Hall

I have a flier, its a nice bike but the standard wheels are a bit basic, loose bearings with cup and cone. I upgraded my wheels just after I brought it with a pair of Planet X AL30's with sealed bearings, they made a noticeable difference to the way the bike rode. I have an Eastway which again has basic wheels on it, if I upgraded the wheels it would make a noticeable difference to the way bike rides, the frames nice and its got a Tiagra group set on it but it appears they have skimped on the wheel set.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXAL30DTR/planet-x-al30-d-track-wheelset
If by "sealed bearings" you mean cartridge bearings, there's a convincing (to me anyway) argument that a cub and cone bearing is better suited to the lateral forces a bike wheel puts on the bearing. Keep them maintained and properly adjusted and life will be good.

13 rider

Guru
I just bought some Alex rims from superstar components . They sent me an e mail they have a some clearance items on sale
I went for a lighter wheels and I feel the difference on climbs it so much easier to pick up the pace . But overall speed has not really altered . The biggest difference seems to come from the tyres changed from standard giant tyres to continental GPS and they feel so much better
Several people on here have used superstar components are all are happy

D

Deleted member 1258

If by "sealed bearings" you mean cartridge bearings, there's a convincing (to me anyway) argument that a cub and cone bearing is better suited to the lateral forces a bike wheel puts on the bearing. Keep them maintained and properly adjusted and life will be good.

I've not seen that argument.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the standard wheels are a bit basic, loose bearings with cup and cone. I upgraded my wheels just after I brought it with a pair of Planet X AL30's with sealed bearings, they made a noticeable difference to the way the bike rode
If by "sealed bearings" you mean cartridge bearings, . . . a cub and cone bearing is better suited to the lateral forces a bike wheel puts on the bearing.
@Yellow Saddle has covered the issue elsewhere.
@dave r - how would you describe the 'noticeable difference'? Did they spin longer starting from the same angular velocity? Or were there other differences in the hub's performance which you noticed?

D

Deleted member 1258

@Yellow Saddle has covered the issue elsewhere.
@dave r - how would you describe the 'noticeable difference'? Did they spin longer starting from the same angular velocity? Or were there other differences in the hub's performance which you noticed?

I mostly noticed the bike felt a lot nicer to ride, it also seemed that I wasn't working as hard when I was riding the bike.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

@Tim Hall is spot on. Sealed bearings being better for wheels is, I'm guessing here, another marketing con.

Sealed bearings do a very good job on lineal forces but a wheel is subjected to forces from more than one direction.

Sealed bearings, I guess, are safer and by that I mean there is no risk of damaging the hub if you don't look after the bearings. For some people that tend to do their own maintenance but can't or don't know how to adjust a cup and cone hub then a sealed cartridge bearing is a safer bearing system.

To the OP. Loosing weight, if you have any to loose, would be my advise. If your wheels are falling apart then, of course, you can invest on something more aerodynamic / lighter but don't hold your breath about braking records by a substantial margin. You are more likely to gain on reliability and esthetic.

D

Deleted member 1258

@Tim Hall is spot on. Sealed bearings being better for wheels is, I'm guessing here, another marketing con.

Sealed bearings do a very good job on lineal forces but a wheel is subjected to forces from more than one direction.

Sealed bearings, I guess, are safer and by that I mean there is no risk of damaging the hub if you don't look after the bearings. For some people that tend to do their own maintenance but can't or don't know how to adjust a cup and cone hub then a sealed cartridge bearing is a safer bearing system.

To the OP. Loosing weight, if you have any to loose, would be my advise. If your wheels are falling apart then, of course, you can invest on something more aerodynamic / lighter but don't hold your breath about braking records by a substantial margin. You are more likely to gain on reliability and esthetic.

Although I'm perfectly capable of maintaining cup and cone bearings one of the things I like about sealed bearings is they are largely fit and forget. I'm very much a fan of stuff I can fit and forget, I'd much rather be riding than working on the bike.

All bearings can be sealed or unsealed. You can get cup-and-cone bearings that are unsealed. You can get journal bearings that are unsealed, you get angular contact bearings that are unsealed. You can get ceramic bearings that are unsealed. You can get titanium-nitrite unobtanium plutonium bearings that are unsealed.

All of those bearings also come in a sealed variety.

Whether or not you want a seal on there is based on the application. A sealed bearing is not a type of bearing, it is a feature of a bearing, any bearing.

Bicycles have two types of bearings - cup-and-cone (sealed or unsealed) and cartridge (sealed and unsealed).

Not all seals are created equal, but that's another discussion.

D

Deleted member 1258

You are fooling yourself, don't even if it is easy.

I'm not. The Genesis is not the only bike I've upgraded wheels on, my Pearson and my Dawes both had wheel upgrades to them, I could tell the difference on all of them. If I find myself in a position where I can upgrade the wheels on my Eastway I will.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cheap cup and cone, you will lose the hub easily if not careful as the cup will corrode. Cartridge bearings make sense on a daily commuter. If they go, it's a simple job to change. Miche, Formula etc all use cartridge bearings on their track hubs. Easy fix/repair.

Miche X-Press on mine.

Top Bottom