Wheels, Tyres and Mismatching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

Über Member
I want to replace my front wheel

A couple of questions:

1. The one I’ve got my eye on comes with a GP4000s ii 23c, my current tyres are GP4000s ii 28c. If I get this wheel and just use it as is, so 23 on the front 28 on the back, would there be any issues with that?*

2. I may in the future replace the back wheel aswell, if a wheel advertises as a 9/10/11 speed, can an 8 speed cassette go on it, maybe with a spacer of some sort?

I realise that 2nd one sounds stupid when I read it out loud but the rear wheel to the front wheel I’m looking at is 9/10/11 speed and I have an 8 speed cassette.

Cheers

*The wheel can take tyre widths 19-32mm.

1. Yes as long as frame has clearance.
2. Yes get a 1.85mm spacer or 2.00mm spacer and you can use an 8 speed cassette on an 11 speed hub. The 1.00 spacers are to run 10 speed on 11 speed hubs.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t personally think I’d want different width tyres on a road bike, even if you can

Gunk

Guru
I run a 23 front and 25 rear on my van Nich, though that's due to the clearance on the front fork...

my Van Nic Amazon is fitted with 28’s plenty of clearance

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Down here they don't bother about little things like the tyre size being the same back and front, they'd consider that a first world problem :smile:.
You probably won't notice too much difference, just that the front will feel a little harsher.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I run a 23 front and 25 rear on my van Nich, though that's due to the clearance on the front fork...
A Ventus by any chance? I run exactly the same combination for the same reason.

As for the OP, the 23 up front will not be a problem, but you may lose a bit of the comform provided by the 28s.

Top Bottom