Wheels/Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jmetz

Can someone clear this up for me.

I have the standard wheels on my Trek 7.3 FX 2010 model.
http://www.evanscycl...d-bike-ec016510

Due to my commute being over a tarmmac'd (pretty broken up with raised cracks) path through woodland (so the odd branch/thorn etc) I was wondering about getting a second set of wheels/hubs/tyres to use daily for this commute, and to keep my slick tyred wheels for pleasure rides.

My query is whether i am able to purchase a full wheel set, i.e. front and rear wheel, hubs and tyres.. and how much i would be looking at for a reasonable pair that could withstand this kind of surface....

Or alternatively, if people think my current set-up would be up to the job? Or even purchasing a cheapish hack, although i seem to be appalling at finding a bargain!

Ive since had a change of heart and reckon id be better on my MTB for the commute, however as mentioned most of the trip is on tarmac that isnt too well looked after, so im now trying to determine the best tyres (26") to opt for, my current shortlist:

Schwalbe Big Apple Tyre - Kevlar Guard

Continental Sport Contact Tyre

Schwalbe City Jet Tyre

Any comments/further recommendation of tyres?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I don't know what wheels you have and cannot find a link to your bike.
However, yes you can buy replacement wheels and if you want something tougher a pair of 32 spoked touring wheels should do the trick (I'm assuming regular brakes, not discs).
Here's a selection to give you an idea of price and availability.

The hubs will need to be the right width and compatible for the sprockets yopu have e.g 9 speed Shimano.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelsets-dept698_pg1/

Fit say 28c or 32c tyres assuming you have enough clearance and Bob's your mother's brother.

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

Sorry, updated now with a link to the bike...

Thanks for the link.... my next question being are a pair at £114 going to be worthwhile or likely to cause me more hassle than they are worth?

PpPete

Legendary Member
don't know about the MTB tyres.... but for 700c wheels I'd go for handbuilt 36 spoke every time. Spa will do a variety of rims on Tiagra hubs for £129 (if you have 130mm drop-out) or on Deore (if you have 135mm) for £136.
Rigida Chrina rims will be fine for even crappy roads, without losing too much speed. 28mm Bontrager Hardcase RaceLites are a good option on tyres without breaking the bank.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I have used 2 out of the 3 tyres you asked about, the Conti Sport Contact and the Big Apple both in 26" mtb size. The funny thing is they are kind of diagonally different, so am a little surprised that both of them are on your list.

Conti's Sport Contact is probably one of the best 26" slicks, not only is it light (especially in 1.3" width, ~450g I think) but it also offers good puncture protection. You can pump it up to 105psi for that width (and 80psi for the 1.6" I think), meaning they can offer rolling resistance nearly as low as some of the best road racing tyres.

On the other hand, the Big Apple is a balloon tyre that is specifically designed to offer maximum shock absorption, designed to be run at low pressure, and is quite heavy (the smallest is 2" wide and weighs 740g).

The Big Apple is perfect for someone with a hybrid/rigid mtb with no suspension but who wants a plusher, comfier ride over potholed streets or gravelly paths and such like. It achieves that by sacrificing the speed and efficiency that the Sport Contact can offer.

On the other hand, the Conti Sport Contact is ideal for someone who wants maximum speed and reliability on the road, and don't need the benefits of penumatic suspension a tyre can offer, because there will be little (at that sort of pressure).

I have never tried the City Jet, but have heard good things about it and it appears to be a good general, middle of road city slick. It is kind of like the Big Apple but narrower/lighter. I believe it is also good value.

While you have said which 700c road bike you have, you did not say which mtb are you planning to use these tyres on. Are you still looking for added comfort (if so what tyre and pressure are you running), or speed, or puncture resistance etc.?

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

Thanks for the indepth reply..

The MTB is a run of the mill Saracen, picked up for nothing and has been using throughout winter for my commute, however i have finally grown tired of the constant punctures due to the apaulling tyres!

For me the key is puncture protection followed by speed, comfort is of no worry for me to be honest.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Sounds like Conti Sport Contact is the best fit out of the three, it comes with a year's puncture-free warranty and free inner tube.

The other popular choices are versions of the Schwalbe Marathons, but they are much heavier and have lower max pressure hence not as fast and efficient.

If you get frequent puncture is it because of foreign objects or is it because of pinch flats? The latter arise when terrain is rough and tyre pressure is too low for the load, no matter how brilliant the tyre's puncture resistance is.

Finally you might want to consider what your mtb looks like with narrow slicks on if aesthetic matters to you...

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

Sounds like Conti Sport Contact is the best fit out of the three, it comes with a year's puncture-free warranty and free inner tube.

The other popular choices are versions of the Schwalbe Marathons, but they are much heavier and have lower max pressure hence not as fast and efficient.

If you get frequent puncture is it because of foreign objects or is it because of pinch flats? The latter arise when terrain is rough and tyre pressure is too low for the load, no matter how brilliant the tyre's puncture resistance is.

Finally you might want to consider what your mtb looks like with narrow slicks on if aesthetic matters to you...

The punctures have arisen from thorns everytime, so im sure of the culprits.

Will the narrow slicks be applicable to a 26x2.0 wheel?

Thanks for your help once more

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The tyres should always be wider than the rims, the question is how much. Conventional wisdom says at least 30% wider, but not eveybody (including me) give it that much margin (in pursuit of speed and lightness). The biggest risk of using a high pressure slick not much wider than the rim is increased risk of rim damage by potholes etc.

Sheldon's guidance is here (note rim width in table is internal).

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

Ah great....

Well ive given its some thought and im opting for the Conti Sport Contact Tyre..... looking on chain reactions though they only come in 26x1.3 and 26x1.6

My current tyres are 26x2.0 as mentioned earlier... will these be fine? How do we determine what range is suitable?

BigTone0777

Why not think about using slime tubes too, these should really help with the thorn problem although a little heavier than a standard tube

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

opted for tje contio sport, two should be with me tomorrow... as for the innertubes ive never been keen on slime ones, no particular reasoning behind that though.

Top Bottom