Wheels upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
My Defy 1 was totally different after fitting Zonda's. It's the rotational weight that makes the difference, rather than the total weight of the bike.

I now have the Zonda's on n+1 and Fulcrum 7's on the Defy and can still notice a difference with the 7's arguably sitting in between the stock wheeks and the Zonda's.

Every time I move off or want to put a spurt on, the Zonda's spin up a lot quicker than the stock.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Is it a hard job to change the cassette on the rear wheel over to a new wheel?

In theory no, it's easy with a chain whip & lock ring tool, unless it is stuck fast. A few years ago I bought some new wheels from a LBS but I couldn't get the cassette off, so went back to the shop with old & new rear wheel, a 4' bar & some grazed knuckles later the cassette came off, but I've not had a problem since then :thumbsup:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Why does anyone buy hand built stuff ? Because they can get it made to their specification and needs . Yes I guess there is a small amount of pride that goes with having things made for you and normally there is the same pride put into it from the maker . Quality control is there at the start when going for hand built and you just don't get that kind of attention to detail with factory built wheels . It just wouldn't make good business sense .
That's why people have things hand made / built .

sannesley

Nope. If I can do it anyone can. You'll need a chain whip and lock ring tool if you don't already have them.

In theory no, it's easy with a chain whip & lock ring tool, unless it is stuck fast. A few years ago I bought some new wheels from a LBS but I couldn't get the cassette off, so went back to the shop with old & new rear wheel, a 4' bar & some grazed knuckles later the cassette came off, but I've not had a problem since then :thumbsup:

Since asking this I've watched a couple of youtube videos and the process looks simple enough

jamin100

Guru
My Defy 1 was totally different after fitting Zonda's. It's the rotational weight that makes the difference, rather than the total weight of the bike.

I now have the Zonda's on n+1 and Fulcrum 7's on the Defy and can still notice a difference with the 7's arguably sitting in between the stock wheeks and the Zonda's.

Every time I move off or want to put a spurt on, the Zonda's spin up a lot quicker than the stock.

This is just what i wanted to hear.
I plan on replacing the stock wheels on my defy composite with the zondas (or fulcrum 3's)

bpsmith

Veteran
This is just what i wanted to hear.
I plan on replacing the stock wheels on my defy composite with the zondas (or fulcrum 3's)
I would buy the Zonda's again, without question. They are said to sit around the Fulcrum 3 level, so it's kind of a case of whichever you prefer to look of. :smile:

Top Bottom