wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
so still PLANNING to build a recumbent! :sad:
and was wonderin how do i do wheels as on a normal upright the wheel has support both sides but a recumbent trike the 2 front wheels only have support on one side
is there a special axle or something? or is it just leave it as it is and change the bearings more regularly?
Cheers Ed

L14M

Über Member
Are you going to be building the frame from scratch? I've had experience with working on motorised trikes, a Boom trike family with a 1600cc vw engine.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Are you going to be building the frame from scratch? I've had experience with working on motorised trikes, a Boom trike family with a 1600cc vw engine.
yeah building frame from scratch
arc welding
Cheers Ed

L14M

Über Member
agree with the good luck statement, on a 2 at the front set up you will find it hard to get rid of slop in the steering system imo.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
building along these lines
warrior.jpg

Warrior%20Recumbent%20Tadpole%20Racing%20Trike%203.jpg

Cheers Ed

starhawk

There are bicycles around which have singlesided forks so the wheels can't be all that uncommon, besides you can buy the wheels as spares from the recumbent manufacturers

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
There are bicycles around which have singlesided forks so the wheels can't be all that uncommon, besides you can buy the wheels as spares from the recumbent manufacturers
but would wold cost me minimum about £200+ :ohmy: never thought it was going to be cheap though

i need to get my self a spoke key the cheapest hub and the cheapest rim i can find and i bunch of spokes and nipples and practice building wheels then! :biggrin:

either that or i could modify the design of the trike frame to support it on either side
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
maybe like this
008-jpg.21017.jpg

and then just carry that bit on right round the wheel and have a piece of heavy plate as a bracket to support the wheel on the outer side?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
i would also mount the front brakes on those bits coming round and maybe even mud guards
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom