wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L14M

Über Member
confusing wording (at least for me :sad:)
so i could do what i suggested with carrying the bit round and making a bracket but it would be messy?
Cheers Ed
Yes that would work but it would be a messy job welding the extender on, then the bend etc. Unless you have facilities to curve metals etc?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Try wheelchair hubs - they're essentially bike hubs but intended for single-sided mounting. However, a quick search doesn't seem to show up any bargain wheels or hubs....

When I've looked into this, I've set up an Ebay search and had it running for some months before something has turned up - usually from someone else who'd started a DIY recumbent trike but given up.

You could use regular wheels, supported on both sides; I've built trailers this way. Round tubing is cheap and doesn't have to be too thick-walled to be pretty strong - and you can bend it with plumber's pipe benders to produce nice curves (you may have to heat it up significantly first, as it's rather stiffer than the copper pipe plumber's benders are designed for). Then all you need do is cut out and weld/braze on some dropouts from suitable sheet mild steel.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Yes that would work but it would be a messy job welding the extender on, then the bend etc. Unless you have facilities to curve metals etc?
angle grinder 45 degree cut twist and weld back on give me a square right angle
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
had another look at the pics on your wonderful thread i and i see how you have done it by bolting the solid axle into blocks on your stub axle to give good support for the axle
this provides enough support i assume?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Hi, I have used 20" BMX wheels with a 14mm axle.
so you used a pair of 20" front BMX wheels on the front of your trike what was on the back?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
are 700c wheels okay to have on both front and rear of the recumbent trike?
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
so you used a pair of 20" front BMX wheels on the front of your trike what was on the back?
Cheers Ed
Just a standard 26" MTB wheel. The rear of the trike is all from a rear suspension MTB, its possible to fit 700c wheels on yours as long as you have the clearance

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Just a standard 26" MTB wheel. The rear of the trike is all from a rear suspension MTB, its possible to fit 700c wheels on yours as long as you have the clearance
maybe 26" front wheels and a 700c for the rear? did you build to atomic zombie plans? is it worth buying them or should i just design it my self?
i want the bigger wheels as being seen by drivers is harder on a recumbent even with a flag, banner or led light strip!
Cheers Ed

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Don't know about 26" on the front,
if you have never built anything like this before then I would buy the plans like I did

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Don't know about 26" on the front,
if you have never built anything like this before then I would buy the plans like I did
yep was going to buy the plans anyway, only a tenner so can't go far wrong!
am probably going to go with the warrior trike, basically the non suspension version of yours
Cheers Ed

classic33

Leg End Member
If you're building the one shown, I be inclined to stick with he recomends. He's come up with a few different designs/builds & knows what he's talking about.
If you're looking for hubs, have you considered trying any mobility shops that may be nearby. Old wheels where there has been damage to the wheel rim or multiple spoke damage. Often just thrown away.

Top Bottom