wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Check your local library, they may have the book in stock is another option.
none of my local libaries would have anything like atomic zombie plans! :sad: oh well they are only a tenner! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

stuee147

im just doing the same thing im building a recumbent trike and iv looked for wheels for the front i found on ebay they do cycle trailers i picked one that can take upto 150kg and has 2 x 20" quick release wheels.it was about £60 and im also salverging several other parts from the trailer for my trike. the wheels have a extended axle on one side that slides into a polly bush inserted into some 25mm tubing and im welding a section of tube to the bottom of my headset so i can slide the wheels in and they just click in they seem to be working well and im looking at makeing some brakes for them to just not got that far yet lol
i did look at wheelchair wheels but they cost more than the trailer and i get more parts from the trailer.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
im just doing the same thing im building a recumbent trike and iv looked for wheels for the front i found on ebay they do cycle trailers i picked one that can take upto 150kg and has 2 x 20" quick release wheels.it was about £60 and im also salverging several other parts from the trailer for my trike. the wheels have a extended axle on one side that slides into a polly bush inserted into some 25mm tubing and im welding a section of tube to the bottom of my headset so i can slide the wheels in and they just click in they seem to be working well and im looking at makeing some brakes for them to just not got that far yet lol
i did look at wheelchair wheels but they cost more than the trailer and i get more parts from the trailer.
what other bits you nicking off the trailer?
you must keep me updated by PM or something on your project
Cheers Ed

stuee147

the trailer is made od 2mm thick 20mm steal tubing so some of that is being used for my track rod and some is earmarked for the seat the base of the trailer is also lined with a sheet of mild steal about 600mm x 800mm and looks to be about 0.8mm thick this is going to be used to make a small secure box behind the seat to take tools so i have them and they can be locked away.
the other advantage i can see with the wheels is i can remove them at the push of a button and then both front wheels can be locked to the rear wheel and frame. iv read a lot about wheels getting stolen from trike as its so hard to lock all 3 without having a 40ft long chain lol

so far i have built one trike very roughly (its strong and works just looks tatty) this was just to see how i felt riding it and also gave me a chance to test out a few ideas to see if they would work. i have now figured out the dimensions i need to make and iv drawn up some plans with sizes angels ect. and i have all the bike parts the only thing left to get is some steal box section which i should have in the next few weeks then iv worked out i should have it built and on the road in 2 days depending on the weather as i have to do it outside :sad:

yea ill let you know how its going when i get the box section i hope your build is going well to :smile:

stuee

stuee147

oh yea and i forgot the trailer came with a heavy waterproof canvas cover which i may use as a seat using the tubing to i have several ideas for the seat iv not decided on one yet ill prob see what looks and feels the best on the finished bike lol
i was also thinking of maybe making a small box that will sit under my left arm partly as a arm rest but also as a small storage area for things like mobile phone and sun glasses or more like gloves and woolly hat and i am thinking of using 3mm x 20mm strips of mild steal to make the frame and the canvas to cover it to keep the weight down. iv just looked on ebay quick and i couldn't see the trailer i got (it was before Christmas i got it lol ) but they have hundreds on there just check it will take a persons weight i would say anything around 70kg or above would be enough for most people.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
@stuee147
have you got any build photos of your first trike? could i have a look at them please? or even just a shot or 2 of the completed trike?
what wheels did you use for the first trike? please do take lots and lots of photos of the new build! what welder have you got arc, mig, tig or oxy-acetylene? i will do mine out of 2.5mm or 3mm square steel tubing as i am limited to an arc/stick welder for the moment :sad:
Cheers Ed

stuee147

i didnt take any pics of my build of my tester trike i have a couple of finished pics hopefully i will be abel to add them here

FcYFGshQyk0WwvEkhetKPvaNo7nTVPKDRyDhAPWZKj0=w271-h162-p-no.jpg

IMAG0911.jpg

like i said before this was a quick whack parts together it took me about 6hrs to build this i used 2 old mountain bikes the trailer that iv mentioned before and a length of 1.6mm thick 60mm diameter mild steal wood burning stove flue and a couple of skateboard wheels and its welded together with a ark welder and 2.5mm welding rods. just after these pics were taken i added a rear deraililar and that helped alot with getting going and holding the slack out of the bottom of the chain.
this was just an experiment to see if i liked a recumbent trike, and also to give myself some ideas of how i wanted the final bike to be. and it has given me some great ideas so now im just waiting on the metal so i can build what will be my perfect recumbent trike :hyper:
im going to be using 2.5mm x 40mm x 40mm box section for the main frame with a few strengthening pieces of 2mm x 20mm x 20mm box section. and i will probably be using the ark welder unless i find a couple hundred pounds somewhere and get myself a mig welder ^_^

i do prefer a mig to an ark i find i can get a strong secure weld with either type but if i want a weld to look neat then i go for mig i can get a neat weld almost every time where as i tend to stop and start a lot more with an ark so i can never get a decent seam.

i will be taking pics of my build when the metal arrives and i will try and sort out pics of how iv done bits so far

stuee

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
i didnt take any pics of my build of my tester trike i have a couple of finished pics hopefully i will be abel to add them here

FcYFGshQyk0WwvEkhetKPvaNo7nTVPKDRyDhAPWZKj0=w271-h162-p-no.jpg

IMAG0911.jpg

like i said before this was a quick whack parts together it took me about 6hrs to build this i used 2 old mountain bikes the trailer that iv mentioned before and a length of 1.6mm thick 60mm diameter mild steal wood burning stove flue and a couple of skateboard wheels and its welded together with a ark welder and 2.5mm welding rods. just after these pics were taken i added a rear deraililar and that helped alot with getting going and holding the slack out of the bottom of the chain.
this was just an experiment to see if i liked a recumbent trike, and also to give myself some ideas of how i wanted the final bike to be. and it has given me some great ideas so now im just waiting on the metal so i can build what will be my perfect recumbent trike :hyper:
im going to be using 2.5mm x 40mm x 40mm box section for the main frame with a few strengthening pieces of 2mm x 20mm x 20mm box section. and i will probably be using the ark welder unless i find a couple hundred pounds somewhere and get myself a mig welder ^_^

i do prefer a mig to an ark i find i can get a strong secure weld with either type but if i want a weld to look neat then i go for mig i can get a neat weld almost every time where as i tend to stop and start a lot more with an ark so i can never get a decent seam.

i will be taking pics of my build when the metal arrives and i will try and sort out pics of how iv done bits so far

stuee
i can see what you mean it was just a quick test! still better than what i have (nothing!)
i'm guessing you like your current trike then?
how did you work out ackermans law and toe in/out angles and camber angles etc etc for the steering?
Cheers Ed

stuee147

the design i have now is slightly different to that one the front wheels are going to be set out similar to atomic zombies warrior trike. and to be honest on that quick make the only tools i used was a ark welder an hammer an angel grinder a wire brush and a can of red oxide primer and a couple of spanners and pliers that was it i never used a ruler or tape measure or any angel finding stuff lol but i knew from experience (i used to make gokarts) the akermans law i normily weld a small bit of tube or plate at about 7 to 10 degrees angel from the line of the front wheel the camber angel i find quite easy again its normily around 10 degrees ish i tend to set the head tubes up and weld the axel support for the front wheel on while holding the front wheel in place.
and for the toe in / out i normily use some old wire or rope and secure the front and back of the wheel to the main frame making sure the its the same distance from the frame to the wheel on both front wheels and on 20inch wheels like i have here i set the front of the wheels about 1 or 2 mm closer to the frame than the back of the wheels giving me a slight toe in.
on the one i am building now im doing it the right way as im hoping it will be one that will last me a while lol and im going to make a jig to help with setting the angels ect

Top Bottom