Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Thinking about replacing the wheels on my bike that came as standard on my raleigh sprint to these

http://www.wiggle.co...-bike-wheelset/

as anybody used these wheel, thoughts, would i get any real benefits from doing so.

my current wheels run on deore hubs.

Won't work. Deore hub has mtb width (135mm). What is your rim size (or you can just give the tyre size)?

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Any idea of the weight of the wheels which came with the Raleigh Sprint (without cassette)? This would give you one method of comparison; the wheels you linked to are 2.1kg (inc. QR), that seems pretty heavy to me and doubt the ones which came on your bike would be much heavier.

If you aim to reduce weight, you may have to spend a little more...

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Would raleigh really put an MTB hub on a road bike???

Good question. But Deore is a mtb groupset, and you said the wheels are standard equipment.

Some manufacturers kludge it by making alloy frames with 132.5mm rear dropout distance, so if I were you I would remove the rear wheel and measure the distance between the rear dropouts and see what it is.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Good question. But Deore is a mtb groupset, and you said the wheels are standard equipment.

Some manufacturers kludge it by making alloy frames with 132.5mm rear dropout distance, so if I were you I would remove the rear wheel and measure the distance between the rear dropouts and see what it is.

the rest of the bike is shimano 2300 will check the rear dropout distance, but cant seem to find any road wheels with rear hub at 135mm

looking at these ones too

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXMODELB/planet_x_model_b_wheelset

PpPete

Legendary Member

Nice wheels - but they are 130mm too, you need 135mm.

Best bang for buck that I can think of would be Spa handbuilts. Something like Chrina rims on Deore hubs. Not as sexy looking as the 20/24 spoke ones you've been looking at but probably much stiffer and better quality build than what is supplied on the original.

brockers

Best bang for buck that I can think of would be Spa handbuilts. Something like Chrina rims on Deore hubs. Not as sexy looking as the 20/24 spoke ones you've been looking at but probably much stiffer and better quality build than what is supplied on the original.

Agreed. The Planet-Xs are OK value for a budget wheelset, but I prefer riding my 32 spoke handbuilts as they give a far more supple ride - meaning that riding them is pleasurable, so I go further and get fitter and faster - as opposed to the harsher ride of the model Bs. If I ever raced again (v unlikely) I'd even use my handbuilts unless I had a few hundred or so quid to drop on some proper aero wheels. To be honest, I wouldn't look at wheels which claim to be 'aero' in any way, and which cost under £400 as they're going to be cheap 'n' cheerful.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ok - im guessing that a new bike could be a better option, by the time i add new carbon forks, new drop bars and wheels.......

Which was my prefered route.

Thanks guys.

Get a second opinion, but could you fit 130mm wheels with a couple of spacers?
I've just ordered the Model B's myself, they seem to be the best price to weight ratio in that price range, my brother has them fitted to his cyclocross and he said it has transformed his bike (in a positive way ;) )
That said if you are wanting and can afford all those items upgrade (a new bike) is probably a good thing :thumbsup:

Wobbly John

Veteran
I've got a set of the Planet X 'B' wheels, but haven't yet built the bike up that they will go on.

They are unbadged Alexrims wheels - I think one of the A Class 320 series from last year's range.

For a couple of years, I've run an Alexrims wheel and a Ksyrium on the time trial bike. The Alexrims was lighter, more aero and had fewer poblems than the Ksyrium. when I buggered the Ksyrium this year, I decided to go for a new set of Alexrim ones for next year's bike - and the Planet X ones seemed the best buy. :thumbsup:

brockers

Pretty sure that the Model Bs are Reynolds Alta Comps (as that's what it said on the box mine came in) but with the original problematic Reynolds badged hubs replaced with Novatec A291SB and F162SB. Though it's entirely possible that Reynolds buy in their rims from Alex on their budget wheels.

I've got a set of the Planet X 'B' wheels, but haven't yet built the bike up that they will go on.

They are unbadged Alexrims wheels - I think one of the A Class 320 series from last year's range.

For a couple of years, I've run an Alexrims wheel and a Ksyrium on the time trial bike. The Alexrims was lighter, more aero and had fewer poblems than the Ksyrium. when I buggered the Ksyrium this year, I decided to go for a new set of Alexrim ones for next year's bike - and the Planet X ones seemed the best buy. :thumbsup:

Interesting, I thought I might be limited to Planet X when I need to replace the cartridge bearings, maybe not :thumbsup:

Top Bottom