Wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

I have a quite old racing bike that I was going to dramatically update by having the dropouts spread, respraying bike, adding mod groupset and new wheels. Then came the credit crunch. Ah well ... new plan. I`m doing nowt save getting new ( much lighter ) wheels. Should there be any issues with this ? The cassette is Shimano 600 ( which morphed into Ultegra ).

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Update on this. I have been told by my LBS that this is possible BUT they also told me that I could not use my old 7 speed sprocket set on Campag wheelsets. That was bad news to me cos I wanted Zonda wheels ! Are they accurate in their info ? Note they have a vested interest in perhaps being economical with the facts in that they only stock ( as far as I could see ) Mavic and Shimano wheels.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Another wee update. I eMailed Wiggle with the same question as above. Their reply "Campagnolo wheels are not compatible with Shimano components". How can this be accurate if you can buy wheelset with either Camp or Shim freehub ?

Sikhandar

stoooop! :smile: The most important problem is: which group will you use? Remember that the groupset decides the freewheel -> the rear cassette -> the rear hub -> the wheelset.

You wanna Zonda 2008, ok (in Italy they're *much* cheaper, however); if you use a 7 speed group you'll need spacers, as RedBike says :biggrin: :biggrin: :sad: Why don't you buy a decent group (9-10 speed) and a "more recreational" pair of wheels (Vento? Fulcrum R5 evolution?) ;) Zonda 2008 are *great* wheels with record-class hubs.....!

Or did you mean the old Zondas (high profile ones)?

Top Bottom