When are you British?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Similar thing, but on Emmerdale a lot of the actors are clearly Lancastrian, and on Coronation Street they’re from West Yorkshire,there was even one actress from Barnsley at one point, but she is very well spoken, she would have needed subtitles if she spoke as most folk from there do! it doesn’t annoy me, as much as bemuse me, as obviously other regions would never pick up on it,
BBC Scotland have had a few issues like this with their soap "River City "
It's supposed to be in Glasgow but the accents can be all over the place, in the same family.

BBC Scotland have had a few issues like this with their soap "River City "
It's supposed to be in Glasgow but the accents can be all over the place, in the same family.
Never watched it, are the accents any better than Take the High Road?

DRM

Guru
I never understood the failure to understand Scottish accents (although i remember once in the early 1980s stood listening to two lorry drivers, i couldn't understand a word and assumed they were foreign drivers, when that was very unusual...then it dawned on me they were indeed Scottish, but perhaps from the Highlands. Glasgow accent etc, i have no real problem understanding, apart from words not used in England)
I'm certainly not academic but perhaps the difference is just taking time and trying to understand accents etc, obviously something some folk don't bother doing/
i recall the delights of Having a fish supper when once in Edinburgh, I have never seen as much fish & chips in one portion ever, roll forward to being at home, a Glaswegian lorry driver walked into our local chippy & ordered a fish supper, I’m sure the woman behind the counter had no idea what this entailed, as she said is that fish & chips love, and handed him an English portion the poor bloke looked gutted, walking out shaking his head saying that’s no a fish supper, when I explained what he was wanting all she said was I make no wonder he was so disappointed!

There is a language issue which is annoying me at the moment. An S4c thriller called Craith (shown in English as Hidden) has a policewoman born and raised in North West Wales but the part is being played by an actress who speaks South Walian.

Now I realise that when they subtitle it into English the vast majority of the audience wont know any difference but it is winding me up, surely there is one North Wales actress who could have played the role.

Have you never watched Pobl y Cwm for the reverse?

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I never understood the failure to understand Scottish accents (although i remember once in the early 1980s stood listening to two lorry drivers, i couldn't understand a word and assumed they were foreign drivers, when that was very unusual...then it dawned on me they were indeed Scottish, but perhaps from the Highlands. Glasgow accent etc, i have no real problem understanding, apart from words not used in England)
I'm certainly not academic but perhaps the difference is just taking time and trying to understand accents etc, obviously something some folk don't bother doing/
Try local workers in a Peterhead fish factory. My colleague from Kilmarnock could barely understand a word, as a Devon-lad I was clueless!

Thankfully I have never got into soaps so haven't seen it. I presume then there are people supposedly from a valley down south who are speaking North Walian?

Yes. Sometimes you would think the whole of Anglesey or the Lleyn Peninsula had migrated.

Wales is a small country with a small Welsh speaking acting pool and can't be too picky about the 'wrong' local accents/dialects.

I see occasional English set TV programmes where people in the same immediate family speak with Manchester, Liverpool and Barnsley accents.

Drago

Legendary Member
I just had a go and scored 100%. With tears in my eyes and my chest pumped with pride, I rose slowly to my feet and started to sing the national anthem, albeit the version with the rude lyrics about Prince Andree and the bikini model.

Top Bottom