When did they bring these seemingly new Highway Code rules in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I must've missed it, if they have! I'm talking about new rules that allow cars when stopping at a junction to stop 3 feet over the white line. I'm talking about drivers of cars not only doing that, but also just thinking 'feck it' and not stopping at all and just carrying on, forcing oncoming vehicles to slam on their brakes and let them in. I'm talking vehicles indicating, some even don't do that and then just pulling away from the kerb again forcing other vehicles to slam their brakes on and let them in. I'm taking about tail ending vehicles in front, getting so close the one in front can't see the tail ender's bonnet. I'm talking cars being driven without registration plates attached in the correct place and some not being shown at all. I'm talking cars doing 50mph in 30mph zones. I'm talking cars being driven without the lights on in the dark. I'm talking about drivers smoking cannabis while driving. I'm talking vehicles just driving across zebra crossings when pedestrians are crossing on them. There are other things that don't spring to mind, but they are happening far too frequently!

AndyRM

XOXO
Is this your version of John Hodge's 'Choose Life' poem?

ExBrit

Über Member
Driving on bike paths, cuz the road's too busy.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
There's no police enforcement!

Yet strangely a family friend had an unexpected home visit from the police a couple of weeks ago. Her daughter had left a fair/festival event but was absolutely bursting for a pee and had eventually had no choice but to pull over by the roadside to nip into some bushes or a gateway (I don't have the exact location details) and answer the call of nature. A few hours later the police were knocking on the door to discuss the incident!

Funny how police resource is available for something minor like that. Makes you wonder if she had been pissing on the driveway of a friend of the police commissioner?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Also, to add to Accy's list. Illegal e-bikes and e-scooters, usually on the road in the dark with no lights.

Last week got behind one when I was in the car. Guy was sat bolt upright, barely pushing the pedals yet I was following at 28mph. Sorry, but that ain't no pedalbike, it's an electric moped and requires a licence, registration and insurance. Has anyone actually been prosecuted for breaking these rules yet? There seems to be zero interest in enforcement.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was behind a new looking BMW last night, which prompted this thread. It was one of those that bangs, cracks, makes whooshing noises and stuff. The git driving it got right up the backside of the car in front, then overtook it, cutting in aggressively. This car didn't have a rear number plate! I don't know if there wasn't one on the front. Why is somebody allowed to drive a car without a number plate? You're not telling me this car hasn't had a police car behind it at some point. Why aren't the police pulling these tossers over?!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When I drive through the green traffic lights now I always look right, left, right, left..... in case a light jumper/ignorer is coming at me to side impact me. I spend as much time looking out for idiots pulling out from side roads etc as I do watching the vehicle in front. Yesterday I had one slam on his brakes, a yard over the white line as I approached. I looked at this prick thinking what goes through their minds. They always look away, knowing they're in the wrong, so why the fark do they do it?!

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Also, to add to Accy's list. Illegal e-bikes and e-scooters, usually on the road in the dark with no lights.

Last week got behind one when I was in the car. Guy was sat bolt upright, barely pushing the pedals yet I was following at 28mph. Sorry, but that ain't no pedalbike, it's an electric moped and requires a licence, registration and insurance. Has anyone actually been prosecuted for breaking these rules yet? There seems to be zero interest in enforcement.

Could that have been one of these S Pedelec 45kph electric bikes? In which case they do have to get insurance when they buy them.

Top Bottom