When did they bring these seemingly new Highway Code rules in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Driving standards are not what they use to be that's for sure.
In town opposite the police station cars park on double yellow line's a few years ago you wouldn't have done that as you would have got a ticket or been asked to move on now they just do it .
I think a lot of people must be getting a driving license from the back of a Weetabix packet as my dad use to shout at bad drivers

Two offences five year ban, crush car no exceptions. Job done and less bl**dy cars and more respectful drivers

Change the record pal.

You hate cars, don't need or want one which is fair enough but plenty do and can so get over it.

In town opposite the police station cars park on double yellow line's a few years ago you wouldn't have done that as you would have got a ticket or been asked to move on now they just do it .
I think a lot of people must be getting a driving license from the back of a Weetabix packet as my dad use to shout at bad drivers

I'm not disagreeing on driver standards but the amount of tests and time involved in acquiring a license nowadays is far more involved than in my day.

If you know any recently qualified drivers you'll understand, as for Motorcycles you would need no fewer than 8 different tests/exams spread over 6 yrs in order to ride an unrestricted bike if starting at age 16.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm not disagreeing on driver standards but the amount of tests and time involved in acquiring a license nowadays is far more involved than in my day.

If you know any recently qualified drivers you'll understand, as for Motorcycles you would need no fewer than 8 different tests/exams spread over 6 yrs in order to ride an unrestricted bike if starting at age 16.

Perhaps it's not driving standards, but 'life' standards that have dropped? Nobody has any consideration for other people anymore....

There, I've said it now. I sound like a grumpy whinging old git, and I'm not even 50 yet :eek:

British chap lands in Dubai, rents a Lamborghini, gets caught speeding 32 times in one day by gantry radar and fines total £32k. Unable to pay the fine initially, he extends his stay at 5 star resort.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Could that have been one of these S Pedelec 45kph electric bikes? In which case they do have to get insurance when they buy them.

This from a UK website that was early in the list from a Google search....

"Please Note:
S Pedelecs are required by law to be registered under the classification L1e (light moped) with the DVLA to be used on public access roads."

The 28mph seems to tally with my experiences, but I have my doubts about them being used legally. Does registration not include the need to display a number plate? And the site says "regardless of age", surely there is a lower age limit, maybe 14 or 16yrs old?

And just to be clear, I am asking about UK rules/laws here, not the rest of Europe, as last time I looked the UK laws governed UK road use.

EDIT: Source website - https://spokeandmotor.co.uk/collections/s-pedelec

presta

Guru
x
You can have all the laws you like, but if they don't get enforced.....
You can have all the enforcement you like, but if the public don't consent.....

From a Chief Constable ~40 years ago:
1. The police maintain law & order by common consent, not force.
2. Most people regard theselves as law abiding citizens.
3. Most people break minor laws occasionally.
4. Therefore if police ever obtain the power to enforce every minor infraction, everybody is made to feel like a criminal, consent is lost, and law & order breaks down.

Speed cameras can easily enforce everything automatically, but then they get vandalised until a politician spots a vote-winning opportunity in curbing their use.
Driving with a dog on your knee? Seen leaving screwfix car park this week
Driving whilst eating a bowl of cereal
(choice of 8 videos, including one crash)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
2. Most people regard theselves as law abiding citizens.
3. Most people break minor laws occasionally.

I agree most people break minor laws occasionally, but on the whole this is done discreetly and in a manner that inconveniences nobody.

For example. A shift worker might go through a red light on the way to work at 5am on a Sunday morning because they can see in all directions that there is nothing coming and nobody will even see their misdiscretion.

The problem now is that people are wantonly breaking the law with flagrant disregard for any impact it may have on the people around them and without fear of being reprimanded. I would say that is the break down in law and order you predict, but has happened directly as a result of the police NOT enforcing the law for minor infringements.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Perhaps it's not driving standards, but 'life' standards that have dropped? Nobody has any consideration for other people anymore....

There, I've said it now. I sound like a grumpy whinging old git, and I'm not even 50 yet :eek:

I have been saying the same thing,no respect or courtesy nowadays

Top Bottom