When did you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Kaipaith said:
Some supermarket stuff however is just too bulky to fit into panniers without being stripped down - and then when it is stripped down would leave too little room for much else. I'm talking things like cat food, other tinned foods, loo rolls, kitchen rolls that kind of stuff. Too much for panniers - but a trailer would be ideal.

Stuff and nonsense! My fiancée and I do our weekly supermarket shop with panniers (and a rucksack in case of overflow) without difficulty. All you need are decent sized panniers and good packing skills! And as for bulk packs of loo-roll, a bungee-cord will have that bad-boy riding high on the top of the rear pannier in no time! Safe as houses. We've done this both with a tandem and with two bikes/two sets of panniers. Tandem works better, and is more fun up the hills!

domtyler

Über Member
I would hate to be totally without a car. It makes life a lot easier to go to places like Costco where you can really stock up on all the essentials. I regularly completely fill the car and save lots of money as well as the hassle of permanently running out of stuff. We get an organic veg box delivered once a week and the wife will often do an online order or a supermarket run in the car once a week for fresh stuff.

I've lately been doing a lot of clearing out of the house, shed and attic and have made quite a few runs to the tip with a car load of stuff, the tip is about four or five miles away, it is jobs like this that are impossible by bike and would have necessitated the renting of a van with the associated expense and hassle.

My wife's Corsa is about ten years old so not losing anything in depreciation, is fuel efficient and rarely goes wrong. It is only a 1000cc so is in the lowest band of everything. Being a bit tatty I don't need to worry about it so much.
I don't need to drive it that much but the times I do I am glad that it is there.

Plax

Guru
Carwash said:
Stuff and nonsense! My fiancée and I do our weekly supermarket shop with panniers (and a rucksack in case of overflow) without difficulty. All you need are decent sized panniers and good packing skills! And as for bulk packs of loo-roll, a bungee-cord will have that bad-boy riding high on the top of the rear pannier in no time! Safe as houses. We've done this both with a tandem and with two bikes/two sets of panniers. Tandem works better, and is more fun up the hills!

I had the idea of cycling to the supermarket on Saturday, as I need a few bits and bobs (essentials more than anything). However I don't have a pannier rack and the closest supermarket is approx 8 miles away and the return leg is up a really (really, really) big hill. Would this be considered too far with a rucksack full of shopping?

Carwash

Señor Member
Plax said:
I had the idea of cycling to the supermarket on Saturday, as I need a few bits and bobs (essentials more than anything). However I don't have a pannier rack and the closest supermarket is approx 8 miles away and the return leg is up a really (really, really) big hill. Would this be considered too far with a rucksack full of shopping?

Probably, yes. It sounds like that's the conclusion you came to, anyway! ;)

Maz

Guru
Can't remember when I last filled up, tbh.

My car gets very little exercise (I should sell it, really).
There is moss growing on the side window rubber seals.
Spiders have built webs on the wing mirrors.
I'm sure the petrol in the tank has started to separate out into layers.

Plax

Guru
Carwash said:
Probably, yes. It sounds like that's the conclusion you came to, anyway! ;)

I google mapped two supermarkets in opposite directions to me. The one I thought was closest is actually the furthest away at 8.2 miles. The other one that I usually go to is 6.6 miles (which is up the really really big hill).
I'm very tempted. The bulkiest thing I need is Kitchen Roll, and the heaviest is probably milk. Although I suppose I'll be a bit "back heavy" going up the hill. I've got this image of my front wheel lifting off the ground and me falling backwards now :?:.
The 8.2 supermarket is all up hill on the way back too, although the hills are more staggered and not as steep.
I'll see how adventurous I am at the weekend, and what the weather is like.

ChrisKH

Guru
August 2007 I filled up. And the time before that was April 2007. Admittedly this is my car (as opposed to Mrs KH who fills up twice a month) but it just goes to show you can reduce your car use by swapping to a bike. I wouldn't use the car at all except it is kept for emergencies, non-bike commute days (snow, hurricanes, punctures) and the very occasional times when we both need a car at the same time.

I have never put petrol in our current car and we've had it 4 years! Mrs B likes driving more than I do as well, so when it needs a top up, she does it.

I prefer being the passenger and enjoying the scenery! :angry:

Top Bottom