When did you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

...last buy petrol?

I know that there are some on here who don't own a car, but there are also some who do a bit of both cycling and driving (myself included).

So, 'fess up - when did you last fill up? I filled up just over a week ago. Probably about due again in about another week. This was a full tank on a 1.4 X-reg Polo.

That's about average for me - once every two weeks. Am aiming to knock at least a week off if I can. Would LOVE to hit once a month (still need car for shopping and longer hauls etc.) if I can.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Hmmmmm, last bought petrol about a week or so ago for the bike.
I bought 20litres of veg oil though for my car which I added at the weekend.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Panter said:
Hmmmmm, last bought petrol about a week or so ago for the bike.
I bought 20litres of veg oil though for my car which I added at the weekend.

We're topping up the Mazola mobile this very evening, now it's warmer we can go 60-40 too.:smile:

Evilcat

Bought 60L diesel 3 weeks ago, still more or less full. Mind you, it was the first time I ever I have seen more than 70-quid on the pump! At least with bike/tube in London I hardly use the car at all.

EC

Archie

Errrr.....
Hmmm, weekend before last.

The only time I use the car now is at weekends for family trips. A full tank lasts about a month, and I resent paying the VAST amount of money it costs. Petrol has near doubled since I started cycle commuting! :biggrin:

Or should that be :thumbsup: ?

Carwash

Señor Member
I have never bought petrol. And the only time I ever bought diesel was over 18 months ago.

spen666

Legendary Member
Kaipaith said:

That's about average for me - once every two weeks. Am aiming to knock at least a week off if I can. Would LOVE to hit once a month (still need car for shopping and longer hauls etc.) if I can.

Can you not do your shopping bu bike?

Use panniers & rucksack or buy a trailer?

Plax

Guru
I used to put on average approx £80 a week of petrol in the car. I've got it down to around the £40 mark now for a full tank. That is with cycling most days into work and the odd couple of times cycling to the parents instead of driving. So I can get away with filling up only once a month most months.
I only put £20 in on Monday though as I'm running a bit low on the old cash front and so I'm being tight. My mission is to try and make that last until the end of the month.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

spen666 said:
Can you not do your shopping bu bike?

Use panniers & rucksack or buy a trailer?

Trailer I'm considering. I already do some shopping by bike - stuff from the butcher, greengrocer and market stalls for example.

Some supermarket stuff however is just too bulky to fit into panniers without being stripped down - and then when it is stripped down would leave too little room for much else. I'm talking things like cat food, other tinned foods, loo rolls, kitchen rolls that kind of stuff. Too much for panniers - but a trailer would be ideal.

I filled it on Saturday, I only tend to fill it once a month or less (it can sometimes go 2 or 3 month without a refill. I was shocked at the price of petrol, it cost me £30 I'm sure when I bought the car (10years ago) it only cost £20.
However, that said my first job I drove to work :biggrin: so i'd be refilling evey week back then.

davidtq

Kaipaith said:
Trailer I'm considering. I already do some shopping by bike - stuff from the butcher, greengrocer and market stalls for example.

Some supermarket stuff however is just too bulky to fit into panniers without being stripped down - and then when it is stripped down would leave too little room for much else. I'm talking things like cat food, other tinned foods, loo rolls, kitchen rolls that kind of stuff. Too much for panniers - but a trailer would be ideal.

I get supermarket stuff delivered via the internet, started doing that before I started cycling and got rid of the car.

I last brought petrol in Decemeber I believe when I had borrowed a car to do some christmas shopping in a city 30 miles or so away, Im about to buy diesel today to fill up a car that Ive borrowed for a week largelly just because it was available although I did have some larger items to purchase early in the week.

I am so glad that Ive ditched the car, the finances of not buying owning and running a car are amazing, I was struglling to make ends meet when we were a two car family, now we seem to be holding weekly spending sprees...

Top Bottom