When do we change these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
when they are worn out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back to the OP. Best get a chain measuring device, cost about £10. When it gets to 0.75 on the reading, start to think about changing the chain pronto. If it gets to 1 then you need to change the cassette too. Usually best to replace chain and cassette together.

If you change the chain, and the gears skip, then the cassette is worn. Chainrings will outlast many chains and cassettes. Change these when shifting is poor, or the teeth look like shark fins.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Is there a perceived wisdom on the average mileage lifespan of chainring, cassette and chain?

akb

Veteran
At what mileage we need to change the following

1) Change ring - when it doesnt look like a new chain ring anymore.
2) Casette - When it doesnt look like a new cassette anymore.
3) Chain - When it doesnt look like a new chain anymore.​

Scruffmonster

Über Member
2 years after you should have done.

Then be equal parts;

- Ecstatic that you have a bike that feels brand new
- Annoyed that you put up for two years with a bike that felt cr4p for the sake of £30

subaqua

What’s the point
1) Change ring - I've done over 27,000 miles and it still looks OK
2) Casette - approx 10,000 to 12,000 miles
3) Chain - I can get about 6,000 miles
But it all depends on how and where you ride and also how well you look after the whole drive chain

bearing in mind if you do a lot of winter riding , the winter crud destroys casettes and chains. I did 6K miles on a chain and cassette through 18 months but 2 crappy winters.

for the sake of £30 follow fossys guide :smile:

potsy

Rambler
It also depends on the speed of the chain, I would think you would generally get more life from a 7 speed than a 10 speed, mainly due to the relative widths of the chain.

I use a chain checker now, though I don't usually bother until I've done 1200 miles, then I'll keep a weekly check on it.
Not had to change a cassette yet due to wear, or chainrings.

1) Change ring - when it doesnt look like a new chain ring anymore.​
2) Casette - When it doesnt look like a new cassette anymore.​
3) Chain - When it doesnt look like a new chain anymore.​

I renewed all of the above a few weeks ago - and none of it 'looks like new' any more. Do I need to change them again..??

Top Bottom