When do you change your tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I've not really changed my tyres yet. I swapped my "old" Marathons from my tourer to my hybrid, but that was only becuse I got some "new" Marathons in the sale, and have put them on my tourer. Otherwise I think I'm inclined to do what Tynan does.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
With the commuting bike, it's usually at the 'puncture point' - like other's any more than a couple in quick succession it's changed. At this point, there is usually evidence of the casing coming through - hard to check with mudguards actually.

longers

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
At this point, there is usually evidence of the casing coming through - hard to check with mudguards actually.

Yep, turn the bike over and get a shock. Poor maintenance schedule really ;)

02GF74

Über Member
unless it gets damages, usually side wall blows, then it is when the rubber knobblets have worn off the central section. (mountain bike tyres obvisoulsy)

earth

I just changed the rear on my everyday bike because a large patch of rubber had come off and exposed the casing. If it had not come away then I would have continued with it.

yello

I'm another in the 'when they start puncturing' camp.

Several months back, I got 3 in the same ride. It was a wet ride so that probably made matters worse but they'd been fine up until then. No signs of major wear, tread still good and only the usual nicks and cuts etc, so (imo at least) it's not always obvious just by looking that a tyre is on it's way out. I can't complain though, I'd got just over 6000km out of them! Conti 4 Seasons.

bicyclerubber

When the tread pattern is gone and cuts start to appear

Why do manufacturers always discontinue the most durable tyres?

There are some nice Michelin Lithions from last year's model range about at decent prices just now - the link is to Amazon, but my LBS has them at a similar price too

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have cheap tyres on the back of the fixed, only cost me about £10, so when i think they have squared off enough/wont last much longer(i have checked before by taking the tyre off and squeezing the rubbed in my hand, one finger in the tube on finger on top and see if it feels like there is much difference.
The front is a more expensive one, and i do the same with that/run it until it punctures alot.

Top Bottom