When do you start to lose weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
The first time I rode 50 miles I had frequent sugar/drink breaks :smile: will have to go for the 100km if I get a pork pie too.
Why not? I am 6'1" but 13 stone and I am nowhere near thin!

I eat a lot on rides, I'm usually out all day. When I was younger, in the early 1980's, I weighed about 11 half stone and could ride 200 miles in a day.

Four hours a day, what a bunch of lightweights :laugh:
I think you missed the point of the article. Shift work (particularly changing shifts) lead to obesity*. So you are starting against the odds already. The study where they shifted the body clock by four hours every day allowed them to measure the biological changes that could explain it.

**also heart disease, bone fractures, cancer, diabetes :sad:

More data about how cycling is orthogonal to weight loss:

The first year I upped my annual distance to 8000km, I lost 10kg without trying. The following year I cycled the same distance without changing anything else (obviously things changed, I just didn't notice) and put the 10kg back on.

When I cycled 1200km in 4 days with a poor appetite so I probably ate less than I normally do, I ended up 5kg heavier at the end! That was fluid retention, but when the fluid had dispelled a week later my weight was back within 500g of my pre-ride weight. Presumably over the week after the ride, I managed to consume enough calories to make up for the deficit over the four days.

So diet is important, even when one doing a lot more miles than you are at the moment.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Back of fag packet calc......say you burn approx. 30kcals per mile. 30kcals x 11miles x 2 = 660kclas/day.
Say you are cycling 3 days per week: 660kcal x 3days = 1980kcals/week or roughly 8,000kcals per month (give or take a hoof in the 'nads).
There is roughly 8000kclas in a pound of fat......but remember, you wont be burning just fat, so arguments sake you're burning up 1/2lb fat per month.
Over 8 months....about 4lb......which equates to almost the square root of feck all.

Mr. Pie......bringing real scyence to sport :okay:

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Back of fag packet calc......say you burn approx. 30kcals per mile. 30kcals x 11miles x 2 = 660kclas/day.
Say you are cycling 3 days per week: 660kcal x 3days = 1980kcals/week or roughly 8,000kcals per month (give or take a hoof in the 'nads).
There is roughly 8000kclas in a pound of fat......but remember, you wont be burning just fat, so arguments sake you're burning up 1/2lb fat per month.
Over 8 months....about 4lb......which equates to almost the square root of feck all.

That's true but it's not all about calories burnt during exercise. Raising your metabolism, increasing muscle definition/bulk and upping your testosterone levels naturally can all help with weight loss.

pclay

Veteran

I have often heard that it was 3000cals in a pound of fat??

si_c

Guru
I have often heard that it was 3000cals in a pound of fat??
Yep. 3200ish.

The higher figure above is about right for a kg. Although these are rough figures and a nutrition scientist would probably dispute the applicability of the numbers.

Milzy

Guru
I know a guy with a long commute so he eats many calories to power him to work and home. Trouble is it's too much food and he gains weight despite 100 miles a week.

Top Bottom