When do you start to lose weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Andy

Über Member
Get a slow cooker. Great for doing stews, casseroles and curries etc. Chuck stuff in, turn on and go to work. Ready to eat when you walk in after work with loads left for freezing.

MarkF

Guru
Thanks all for your input. I'm thinking of using something like Huel for a bit so I can control the calories, I work 13 hour day so it is difficult to cook and eat healthily every day.

I work 12 hour days regularly, but I rarely cook anything ever, never mind food to take to work, it's really easy to eat healthily, or unhealthily.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
To be honest, a 2-y-o is not the greatest way to loose weight. Since I became a Dad, I have started to add a few cm to the waist again. Too much time on the floor playing with my little one, and not enough going out on my bike.

Going to be tricky for a while. I was doing 20-30 mile rides at least once a month, and several quite big ones, on top of a 6 mile commute where I was full gas all the way in and back home again. Now I can't afford the time for the long rides, and somehow there are more interesting things in life than pushing my legs and lungs to the limit 10 times a week.

As above. The time you start loosing weight is when you stop worrying about it. Unless you haven't modified your lifestyle, in which case that is when it starts going on again.

mythste

Veteran
Another vote for my fitness pal. Be honest with beer and snacks.

The canteen at my work has these amazing flapjacks they I used to buy as a "recovery" for cycling in (I know...) turns out the little suckers have almost 600 calories in each :blink:

That was a little change and over 3 days a week, a days worth of calories saved!

julioalmeda219

You can lose weight without cycling and you can ride a lot and still gain weight.

On my first cycling holiday in Spain, I rode over 700 hilly miles in 2 weeks but I came home 2 or 3 kgs heavier because I had been eating too much at the hotel buffets and drinking too much in the bar afterwards!

I think that cutting back on the booze and eating out are what you should look at for losing weight, and use the cycling to get fit and have fun.

Great info

Alan O

Über Member
The time you start loosing weight is when you stop worrying about it.
Funnily enough, that's when I started gaining it :whistle:

Maybe try and log your calories on something like My Fitness Pal for a week or two to see how much you are consuming. It is really easy to overeat without knowing. You might find this is the case and then you can amend your diet accordingly if you want to lose weight.

If you do this you will be able to see where the excess calories are coming from. I thought I was generally eating well until I did it for a week. It is a eye opener to see all the snacks and treats add up. but you have to be honest with what you put down an the quantities.

For how you describe yourself Slimming world may work well for you. It does for me, as you can eat loads of pasta, rice, spuds and meats. Don't discount it, for a man it just may be the perfect way to get rid of the excess flab. The hardest thing is walking in the door.

Steve

si_c

Guru
I lost 7 stone using my fitness pal, but it was about solid calorie restriction. I used exercise to effectively buy larger meals so I wouldn't feel so hungry. Limited carb intake and ate mostly chicken in various forms and loads of veg.

Edit: to the OP I'm your height and was around 21ish stone.

pclay

Veteran
I decided on Jan 1st of 2016 that my 2016 cycling target would be 6000 miles - a lot for me, working full time. It required 115 miles per week. My main motivation for this was to loose some weight....

.....I lost none.

Although I was conscious of healthy eating, i didn't track calories, and although I lost no weight, I gained none either.

The thing I have learnt over the years, is that if you go to bed hungry, you will be loosing weight (of course you can't feel any hunger pains once you are asleep).

GuyBoden

Guru
I stopped at a shop half way through my 100Km ride today, scoffed 2 chocolate fatjacks (homemade and yummy), 1 pork pie (also homemade and yummy) and a bottle of cola.

At 6' 1" and 15 stone, I doubt if I'll lose any weight by cycling, but it's very enjoyable........... ^_^

david k

Hi
You may benefit from researching calorie density, it's help make much more sense of eating to me.

My diet is much better, more nutritious and I am slowly losing weight with minimal exercise at the moment, just regular walking

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I stopped at a shop half way through my 100Km ride today, scoffed 2 chocolate fatjacks (homemade and yummy), 1 pork pie (also homemade and yummy) and a bottle of cola.

At 6' 1" and 15 stone, I doubt if I'll lose any weight by cycling, but it's very enjoyable........... ^_^
The first time I rode 50 miles I had frequent sugar/drink breaks :smile: will have to go for the 100km if I get a pork pie too.

Top Bottom