When do you start to lose weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know a guy with a long commute so he eats many calories to power him to work and home. Trouble is it's too much food and he gains weight despite 100 miles a week.
I wouldn't call 10 miles each way a 'long commute' and I don't think it is necessary to eat (much) more to power ten 10 mile rides a week. If he thinks he needs to eat (much) extra then it isn't surprising that he gains weight.

Milzy

Guru
I wouldn't call 10 miles each way a 'long commute' and I don't think it is necessary to eat (much) more to power ten 10 mile rides a week. If he thinks he needs to eat (much) extra then it isn't surprising that he gains weight.
Suppose he's just a fat lad at the back then.

I once made a few observations (nothing really scientific ) all things being equal i.e. no extra increase in calorie input, I reckoned on losing 1lb of body fat per 360 miles or so, this is loosely based on 25% of calories used are fat calories and approx 40cals/mile so 40*0.25=10 3500(fat cals to lose 1lb)/10=350 miles, like I said not scientifically proven, other factors play apart also.
I think its possibly why many start cycling to help lose weight then give up as nothing seems to be happening and its fing hard to start with.

keithmac

Guru
Cycling helps your fitness, very worthwhile doing it for that but if you don't look at diet as well then weight loss probably won't be part of it.

Justifying 600kcals of flapjack because you've done a decent ride out has probably wiped out any weight loss benifit (we've all done it!).

Unfortunately a person on a bike is very efficient so you need to put plenty of miles in to burn the calories off.

I think if more people view cycling as fitness enhancing only and dieting to lose weight there would be far more people cycling after the New Years Resolutions have worn off..

Top Bottom