When do you stop spending money on the bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I never add up the costs of cycling (the total would probably bring on a heart attack) for me its been a lifelong passion and a means of keeping fit and meeting like minded people.

Flipside

When I am told he he he

ChrisEyles

Guru
Lalala I'm not listening!!

Unfortunately, if you are putting in a lot of miles, it's pretty much a constant trickle of new bits and bobs, with the occasional big expense (new crankset/BB springs to mind)! If it's a bike you love, I reckon it's worth spending the money doing it up every time, rather than going for a new machine.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone's done a direct comparison on cycling expense vs petrol money on a like for like commute... I think I probably break even, but don't think I'm saving much!

Cubist

Still wavin'
oooh, tricky question for an avid fettler. The only bikes I've actually bought in the last six years have been C2W roadbikes, and they don't count 'cos they don't involve actually handing over any money. The last big money was last autumn when I built the IBIS, and that was done by wheeling and dealing on a stash of parts from other bikes and a series of swaps and negotiations. SInce then I took stock and decided, that as I had probably built a couple of dream mountain bikes and had specc'd them to the point where I probably had the best bikes I would ever use, there were no upgrades I was likely to want. What's more, they have been maintained to a point where the consumables are still in great nick, so my wallet has had a good rest for a long time (for me) In the last few years I have probably spent an obscene amount on bikes by any standards, but now find myself weirdly content. The only nag is that the Soul has a 2x9 drivetrain, but as it's XT and runs a sweet as anything I cannot justify the extra expense of 2x10, and I'm not fit enough to bother with 1x10 for that or the IBIS. I don't even know what N+1 would look like- after all, I have a bike for trail centres, I have a bike for local bridleways, I'm not interested or fit enough for an out and out XC bike. The roadbike is superb for commuting and leisure riding. So, from now on, it's consumables only.

cd365

Guru
I'd be interested to hear if anyone's done a direct comparison on cycling expense vs petrol money on a like for like commute... I think I probably break even, but don't think I'm saving much!
I paid £1000 for a bike last year, reckon I have saved about £500 in fuel so far, only thing I have done to the bike is change the cassette (it was £28 and didn't need doing!)

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I've never stopped although I've now got everthing I actually need & continue to buy things I only want as it were.My list of wants is endless.
I've never considered bike expenditure against savings related to motoring.However....
Some years ago my mtb was paid for with the money saved by not smoking.I continued to not smoke & continued to spend the no-smoking money on bikes of various types & accessoeies of infinite variety.

I reckon that I've spent less on bikes et al in the last 15 years or so than I would have spent on smoking.
AIUI a pack of 20 cigs is more than a fiver:eek:

Mark White

I've just ordered a fairly decent pair of bib shorts that cost more than I've spent on my entire daily wardrobe for the last three years.

So I think it's just a case of getting the priorities right ;-)

Reactions: PBB

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
When the wife tells you to!

Not if you've got a wife like mine. SHE has just spent £450 on new wheels for HER bike.

ayceejay

Guru
(it was £28 and didn't need doing!)
See, here's the thing, my friend Big Bill reckons that it all depends on what the word 'need' means.
If you wait for stuff to wear out before you replace it no decision is required because you need it to continue as normal.
You could on the other hand **UpGraDe** your stuff so that it lasts longer or because you need to look good or go faster.
If you doubt that the word 'need' is complicated - try this experiment.
You: Oh hello dear, I was just wondering if you think I need a new bike or just better wheels?
Her: (I'll leave that blank but let me know how you get on.)

Long story, but as her arthritis / knee problems progressed she was unable to ride the Thorn due to knee instability.

So she had nicked my Gekko as she could ride without the need to support the bike when stopped. However range was limited due to knee pain.

The electric assist allows her to pedal independently, or boost her effort when tired or it is painful.

Matthames

Über Member
I estimate that I have spent around £2000+ on cycling related stuff this year. Although to be fair most of that was spent on a new bike and a trailer for the bike. One of the joys of the bachelor lifestyle is that I don't have another half bending my ear if I spend too much money on stuff.

Top Bottom