When do you stop spending money on the bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
I have 2 bikes, road bike and MTB, use the MTB for the commute to work.
the MTB was only £99 from decathlon 18 months ago, and it has paid for its self time and time again. and just done over 4000 miles.
But as a £99 bike, you get £99 parts,
2 sets of tyres, I put this down to wear and tear.
new chain+cassette
new cable for the gear shifters (the rear one snapped)
And now the Bottom bracket and rear hub are making some real odd sounds, took the rear hub apart, cleaned it all, put new grease in, but still making odd sound,

So I'm thinking of getting a new bike, maybe spend a little more to get better parts, which will last longer.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think you could treat yourself to a new bike. This can either become a spare or get passed onto someone else, don't abandon it to sit in your shed for the rest of it's life!;)

D

Deleted member 1258

The answer is you never stop spending, its just up to you how much.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Round about this point:
img_9264-240x240.jpg

This is the correct answer. Any other answer/excuse is incorrect.

So long as you're happy with the ride from the frame, the frame is in good repair and replacement compatble components remain readily available then I'd carry on with it. Buying something more expensive is no guarantee that the components will last any longer and they are likely to be more expensive to replace.
On the other hand, if you've been seduced by the look of a new bike then go for it, you know you want to :smile:

Top Bottom