When does a hack bike become not a hack bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They work. I bought some Koolstops once. Never again. £18? I must have been mad.
😄
You've missed the point: they don't match the OPs Campag brakes/parts.

(Plenty of comments by Blue Hills about KoolStops on another thread 👍 Has he tried some yet?)

😄
You've missed the point: they don't match the OPs Campag brakes/parts.

(Plenty of comments by Blue Hills about KoolStops on another thread 👍 Has he tried some yet?)
no - I have a ton of brake pads from a top secret british supplier I sourced for very little.
I had been considering trying some koolstops but the folks above, esteemed folks' comments plus likes to negative comments from other esteemed folk have rather put me off bothering with an experiment - will see.
Maybe a separate thread koolstop salmons yes or no should be started so that the chat research pool can be deployed.
(though I fear such a thread may get as heated as the dreaded Garmin Wahoo debate and get locked)

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Only my view on expensive/cheap brake pads, Have bought and used kool stop and dt swiss plus many other brake inserts/pads etc and tbh dont notice much if any difference between expensive and even very cheap makes.
There must be some difference and from what i have read the more expensive brake pads are less inclined to get bits of alloy ingrained in them and so better for your rims?
My own view now is just buy what ever seems good value or is on sale, check them and your rims often and keep the rims and pads clean.

As for when a hack bike stop being a hack, Easy when you start to give it tlc.

Milzy

Guru
If you can hold 20 mph for one hour then it’s not a hack bike.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I bought a tatty mid 90s Gazelle road bike for £65 with a Campag Chorus graphite rear mech and Mavic Starfish chainset. Those two parts alone went for more than double the price I paid for the whole bike.

I was using a 1994 Diamondback MTB to get to work on that cost £15 . Just broken it up for parts which made £90.

Top Bottom