When does bad driving become attempted murder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
You can report it but the driver at most will get a slap on the wrist. There is no way in hell that the CPS will take this up. Even with CCTV i still highly doubt they would pick it up. Ive had a few talks with officers over issues likes these if they do happen. Normally the CPS will only take anything if there is overwhelming evidence. if not it does not see a court date. In a situation like this i also doubt a warning would be issued. The police may look for cctv but even then it may not cover anything or little.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
He used his car as a weapon with the intention of taking me out. Sure, it wasn't a premeditated act but he could have killed me. Maybe attempted manslaughter then?
I hate people who use manslauther and dont know what it means.
If he was trying to kill you but didnt plan it ahead. it is second degree murder if he does it or attempted murder if he tries but fails.
Manslaughter is used if the person kills you but does not mean on doing so.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
. I carefully and slowly filtered to nr the front and stopped a couple of cars short of the junction itself. There was no space in the nearside lane as it was bumper to bumper so I tucked into the outside lane.

For a driver, this is probably as annoying as (or more than) a car in an ASL is for a cyclist.

Its not murder. Murder has to be done with the specific intention of killing you. Manslaughter is where its the consequence of other actions not intended to kill which seems to be the situation here.

As for filtering a) you should really wait for a gap to pull in to when changing lanes otherwise you are like those cars that indicate to tell you they are about to pull into you so you'd better give way. And b) I've never yet failed to out-accelerate a car in a queue starting to move so as to slot into a gap ahead of them. He definitely shouldn't have done what he did but you were partially at fault for trying to force your way in the circumstances as I understand them rather than dropping in behind him.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
For a driver, this is probably as annoying as (or more than) a car in an ASL is for a cyclist.
I don’t think so. The road is a shared space the ASL is not....by definition.

The driver should have taken a much more accommodating view and allowed the OP to filter back to safety without threat or provocation, as any normal sane and considerate human would also do.

I think the only real way to deal with this is to position yourself at about 38 degrees to their front, face on and then endeavour to plant the two most protruding knuckles of your fist somewhere toward the centre of his head, passing through his face on the way.

Disproportionate violence is probably the only language an ape like this will understand.

Either that...or brush it of and ignore the silly bast@rd

Pauluk

PedalCat said:

I tend to agree with your comment Cat, but the car driver's behaviour was still over the top and if the police could see evidence he should be prosecuted.

However, I still think that you should filter more carefully and considerately.

Filter if other traffic can't make progress but you can.

Filter if you can make progress without inconveniencing other road users.

Filter to get to an ASZ if you can, to make yourself more visible.

To filter, then plonk yourself in front of a potentially faster vehicle in an outside lane is IMHO bad manners and something that gets cyclists a bad name.

400bhp

Guru
Attempted murder where the victim was unharmed. That's a new one on me:whistle:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/manslaughter.

Probably more like Voluntary Manslaughter.

To go with the intention of killing someone and doing so is Murder
Failing to do so but harming the person is attempted
Murder.

The driver became incensed that the OP was ahead of him and slowing him down got him in a bit f a tizzy to say the least.
Did he mean to do the OP harm? very doubtful, but had than arm occurred then most likely Manslaughter.

Edit: or attempted Manslaughter

I hate people who use manslauther and dont know what it means.
If he was trying to kill you but didnt plan it ahead. it is second degree murder if he does it or attempted murder if he tries but fails.
Manslaughter is used if the person kills you but does not mean on doing so.

You hate them? Really hate? For poor or inaccurate use of English? Gosh!

I'm sure your comment was posted in jest, but in the highly unlikely event that you were being serious, you might want to move into a home with less glass in its walls and roof... and stop that silly business of throwing stones.

If (as seems more likely) you were joking, then it is a funny post and I congratulate you.

:smile: or :ohmy: as appropriate.

Carry on.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
You hate them? Really hate? For poor or inaccurate use of English? Gosh!

I'm sure your comment was posted in jest, but in the highly unlikely event that you were being serious, you might want to move into a home with less glass in its walls and roof... and stop that silly business of throwing stones.

If (as seems more likely) you were joking, then it is a funny post and I congratulate you.

:smile: or :ohmy: as appropriate.

Carry on.
I dislike people stating something which is untrue or posted without true knowledge of what they are saying really means or what it is.
That type of hate.

Top Bottom