When does bad driving become attempted murder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawesome

"Vehicular Homicide"

All states except Alaska, Montana, and Arizona have vehicular homicide statutes. The laws have the effect of making a vehicle a potentially deadly weapon, to allow for easier conviction and more severe penalties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide

Broadly if the driver flees, is drunk or drugged, or causes a death whilst committing a crime that isn't a felony. For example:

628x471.jpg

An 18-year-old Kent man has been charged with vehicular homicide after hitting and killing a motorcyclist Wednesday morning.
Police say Justin Cordova was drunk when he lost control of his car, crossed the center line on Southeast 223rd Drive and crashed into a 56-year-old motorcyclist. The man, who was also from Kent, was thrown from his bike.
Police and medics attempted to save the rider, but he died after being rushed to a hospital.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Kent-teen-charged-with-vehicular-homicide-after-3814493.php#ixzz24ZH5uD2H

EthelF

Rain God
I hate people who use manslauther and dont know what it means.
If he was trying to kill you but didnt plan it ahead. it is second degree murder if he does it or attempted murder if he tries but fails.
Manslaughter is used if the person kills you but does not mean on doing so.
Sorry Dan: pot - kettle - black
The last time I checked there were no degrees of murder in English law. Anyway there's too much hate out there already.
As for the OP, sounds like a nasty incident, totally ridiculous act by the driver. Hope you're not too shaken up. But as others have said, attempted murder would never stick, while attempted manslaughter doesn't exist. Best leave the police/cps to decide the actual offence. Just don't hold your breath without further evidence. -sad-

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I hate people who use manslauther and dont know what it means.
If he was trying to kill you but didnt plan it ahead. it is second degree murder if he does it or attempted murder if he tries but fails.
Manslaughter is used if the person kills you but does not mean on doing so.
Gee. Thanks for the explanation. My suggestion it might be considered attempted manslaughter was tongue in cheek. Of course it is not possible to attempt something you don't intend to do. I really must make greater use of emoticons. Sending you a big winking smiley face as using my phone at present.
What is manslauther though?

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Gee. Thanks for the explanation. My suggestion it might be considered attempted manslaughter was tongue in cheek. Of course it is not possible to attempt something you don't intend to do. I really must make greater use of emoticons. Sending you a big winking smiley face as using my phone at present.
if a cyclist came out a side street and didn't give way. you hit them with your 10ton truck and kill them... then by law its manslaughter. C learly this wouldn't go to court but in law this is an example of manslaughter. :biggrin:

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Sorry Dan: pot - kettle - black
The last time I checked there were no degrees of murder in English law. Anyway there's too much hate out there already.
As for the OP, sounds like a nasty incident, totally ridiculous act by the driver. Hope you're not too shaken up. But as others have said, attempted murder would never stick, while attempted manslaughter doesn't exist. Best leave the police/cps to decide the actual offence. Just don't hold your breath without further evidence. -sad-
true but alot of Americans ill have to edit it to (usa only) ha. Murder is murder in the UK

Top Bottom