When does old stuff become obsolete.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For me something becomes obsolete when it will no longer work.
I stopped using my Samsung e1200 when it wouldn't work on the new Asda network.
Odd, pretty sure my non smart phone is an e1200 and it works fine on the new Asda network (now Vodafone?)

It's fine, thanks! It did have a moment after some heavy rain, I think the switchgear got a bit soggy...
Electricity will be obsolete soon.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Odd, pretty sure my non smart phone is an e1200 and it works fine on the new Asda network (now Vodafone?)

I've just checked and mine is a GT-E2121B. It goes into an infinite cycle of booting and then rebooting. It still boots up OK with other SIMs so I assume it's something to do with the way that the ASDA network piggybacks on the Vodafone one.

(My newer Nokia 105 doesn't have this problem)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I've just checked and mine is a GT-E2121B. It goes into an infinite cycle of booting and then rebooting. It still boots up OK with other SIMs so I assume it's something to do with the way that the ASDA network piggybacks on the Vodafone one.

Likely phone is defective as I’ve yet to see a phone that won’t boot up with or without a SIM card.

(My newer Nokia 105 doesn't have this problem)
oo - a 105 :smile:

The Samsung E1200 is a great little phone - like it so much I bought another for a tenner off the bay - eventually of course 2G will get switched off and I'll give it to a museum.

Floppy disks are obsolete. Hand-made bicycles from the 20th century will be ridden in the 22nd, if we are around to ride them, that is.

View attachment 634437

My loudspeakers would be obsolete by these definitions. But they still play music from my phonograph records, which evidently are not, yet!

:smile:
I once had to retrieve some files from floppy disk, in 2001. I had to dust off an archived pc with 5 1/2 " drive, running old microsoft OS. It was a museum piece.

freiston

Veteran
I once had to retrieve some files from floppy disk, in 2001. I had to dust off an archived pc with 5 1/2 " drive, running old microsoft OS. It was a museum piece.
You were lucky they weren't Iomega Zip disks ^_^ (the worst storage format of the modern era imho - my Zip drive and disks didn't last long before failing)!

I was a late adopter - my first PC was an 8086 with a 20 Mb HDD and a 3½" floppy drive - DOS 5 was the latest OS it could run; this was when most people were upgrading to WIN 95. My first Windows PC was a 486SX running WIN3.1 in 1997. I stopped putting a 3½" FDD into my PCs when the MB stopped supporting them (later than 2001). I still have optical drives in my PCs but I rarely use them. I gave up on Windows in about 2008 iirc and now run Linux.

markemark

Über Member
In my line of work the manufacturers have to make replacement parts available for 7 years after the equipment stops being produced. At that point it becomes obsolete.

classic33

Leg End Member
You were lucky they weren't Iomega Zip disks ^_^ (the worst storage format of the modern era imho - my Zip drive and disks didn't last long before failing)!

I was a late adopter - my first PC was an 8086 with a 20 Mb HDD and a 3½" floppy drive - DOS 5 was the latest OS it could run; this was when most people were upgrading to WIN 95. My first Windows PC was a 486SX running WIN3.1 in 1997. I stopped putting a 3½" FDD into my PCs when the MB stopped supporting them (later than 2001). I still have optical drives in my PCs but I rarely use them. I gave up on Windows in about 2008 iirc and now run Linux.
I've still got two of those, and the discs.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Digital obsolescence is a real danger where files are archived in a format that is no longer actively used. The software to read it may no longer exist or only on computers that themselves will fail sooner or later.

freiston

Veteran
I've still got two of those, and the discs.
Do they still work? I can't remember how long mine lasted before they gave up the ghost (click of death) but I didn't use them regularly - they were to back up documents. Luckily I discovered their failure before the back-ups were needed. I went to optical discs then (and a lot of those failed after a few years too - delaminated).

Top Bottom