When does old stuff become obsolete.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
PS2 connectors seemed obsolete, most moving to USB, but then an adapter came along, so you can still use your fav keyboard on your new fangled computer. ^_^

7de8af46-f066-4ecd-a4a0-dabd8036c56a.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
PS2 connectors seemed obsolete, most moving to USB, but then an adapter came along, so you can still use your fav keyboard on your new fangled computer. ^_^

View attachment 635016
I'm old enough to have used an AT to PS/2 adapter to continue using my favourite keyboard with new-fangled Compaq Pentium 250MHz PC.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just bought a Windows XP desktop for £25 on Gumtree. I think it came out in about 2007. It's got expansion ports! A whole world of retro computing opened up. PCI cards for it are virtually free on Ebay. Fabulous!
I reckon you paid about £25 over the odds there... :whistle:

I tried giving a more recent PC than that to a local computer recycling charity but they wouldn't take it! (They do up old computers and give them away to schools in Africa or to needy people in the UK, but apparently the minimum specification was higher than that of my PC.)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Electronics and computing stuff has built-in obsolescence; the manufacturer stops supporting it after a period of time, so you don't get fixes for security or functionality problems. The hardware is fine but it becomes progressively more risky to use. Speed and storage capacity also become a bottleneck as new software gets more bloated, even if it will run on the device. A lot of people found their TomTom "lifetime updates" meant "what we consider to be the useful life of the device" when the maps no longer fitted on older satnavs models.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It becomes collectable, not obsolete. 😁

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I reckon you paid about £25 over the odds there... :whistle:

I tried giving a more recent PC than that to a local computer recycling charity but they wouldn't take it! (They do up old computers and give them away to schools in Africa or to needy people in the UK, but andthe minimum specification was higher than that of my PC.)
I have some ancient data acquisition equipment that needs an RS232 port for communication. The software which I have needs a Windows XP machine to run. Updated software running on Windows 10 would cost me £60 to buy. It seemed to make sense to get an old XP machine and a Fleabay £8 serial card.

I have some ancient data acquisition equipment that needs an RS232 port for communication. The software which I have needs a Windows XP machine to run. Updated software running on Windows 10 would cost me £60 to buy. It seemed to make sense to get an old XP machine and a Fleabay £8 serial card.
I should stress that I know NOTHING about the things, but isn't this the sort of thing those Raspberry Pi Flan things are supposed to be great for?

You could probably pay someone* on those freelance websites to write the code for £8.
*probably from a Korean high-school :whistle:

Sharky

Guru
With the availability of faster/better broadband, suspect that satellite TV will eventually become obsolete.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
With the availability of faster/better broadband, suspect that satellite TV will eventually become obsolete.
And terrestrial... :whistle:

The idea of people all sitting down at the same time throughout the country and watching the same programmes as each other seems quaint now. As does waiting 3 months to get to the end of a series rather than binge-watching over a few nights.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak

Mate of mine is a Sky TV fitter who said there are jobs at risk at the moment due to a rollout of Sky Glass, televisions with the software built in I believe and run similar to Netfix/Amazon/Disney etc.
New technology but boxes and dishes will become obsolete eventually.
Before the current stuff becomes obsolete for whatever comes in the next 20 years.

Top Bottom