When does the British summer actually start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it was yesterday. It was my birthday as it happens and the weather gods gave me a present. For one day only the wind dropped, the rain stopped, the clouds parted and the sun shone brilliantly and warmly from a sky of almost unbroken blue.

Normal service has been resumed today.

lordloveaduck

I say we bring back the human sacrifices and orgy's. If that doesn't make the sun gods happy we can all stand outside
and throw cans of Stella at the sky..........:thumbsup:

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Having given up on the 'good' weather starting in July, I decided to start the work to ride a thon (i.e. everyday not just 3/5) in August instead.
So with two fingers pointed firmly at the sky, I rode in yesterday and found the only kin cloud on the radar all the way.

Much amusement ensued in our office.......

How we laughed.....

Today by comparison the ride in was like a dream in the sunshine.
It's the shoot days that make you appreciate the good ones. Even if it is just the A1307 and the A505!!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
They reckon that it doesn't rain as much as you'd think. That if you commute by bike, you can count on getting caught out 12 times in a year
:shy:
:whistle:

Yeah, I know this years experience tells us this is complete bullshit. But I figured sometimes you have to light the touch paper and retire to a safe distance?
:tongue:

Brains

Legendary Member
I normally pack away my winter jacket in about April/May.
So far it has come on my bike every day of the year, and been worn on all but about 5 occasions.
August and I'm still in winter gear !

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
You got soaked as well riding home yesterday?

Absolutely drenched last night and I sheltered for about 40 minutes at Over station to let the worst monsoon part pass. Beautiful double rainbow though, a full unbroken half circle North to South so a pot of gold at each end :laugh:.

Yep, kept going though, by the time I was at St Ives it had stopped but 2 mins on the bike in rain is enough to get drenched...
but today no rain either way ! dink dank do!!!

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
They reckon that it doesn't rain as much as you'd think. That if you commute by bike, you can count on getting caught out 12 times in a year

Yeah, I know this years experience tells us this is complete bullshit. But I figured sometimes you have to light the touch paper and retire to a safe distance?

last year out of 240 journeys, I did only get rained on 12 times, this year so far 33 ...

well at least its Friday !

al78

Guru

Between May and October 2007 I counted about 60 days where I got rained on during a commute or utility journey.

Teuchter

Über Member
I keep hearing things like this and am forced to conclude that whoever came up with these statistics had never been to the West Coast (Wet Coast) of Scotland.

If I've only been soaked on 4 of my 10 journeys a week, I break out the barbeque to take advantage of the unseasonably dry weather.

al78

Guru
british summer or disaster.jpg

Attachments

• british_summer_fail__by_unclegargy-d56bsec.jpg
    british_summer_fail__by_unclegargy-d56bsec.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 16

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I know we all complain about the weather in this country but apparently last year Rhyl was the second driest town in the UK.

Its all down to hills and the movement of the clouds. The worst of the weather is over Snowdon (somewhere in Conwy was the wettest place on record last year). Then it gradually dry's up until it reaches where I live. As a result, Rhyl/Prestatyn tend to have the driest summers out of the whole UK. Simply due to the affect of hills.

Top Bottom