When flying, deflate tires?

When you fly on an airliner, do you deflate the tires?

• Yes, most or all air taken out

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yes, just a small amount so the bike is still rideable

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No, not all all

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The overheated tyre exploded BECAUSE O2 was present inside the tyre (ie 20% of the gas inside the tyre). If the gas inside the tyre had been N2 (100%) the explosive reaction would not have occurred. As @Cunobelin has quoted:
"The reason for using nitrogen is to eliminate the possibility of a chemical reaction between atmospheric oxygen and volatile isoprene gas (produced by severe heating of the tyre) causing an explosion."
It wasn't the tyre that got hot though, it was the wheel onto which it was fitted. Caused by "a dragging brake".

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Google Mexicana Flight 940

One of the key findings as the cause was one of the wheels in the central undecarriage containing pressurised air as opposed to Nitrogen

If you still don't believe, take it up with the official investigators

Without seeing the investigation report, rather than Wikipedia's misquoting of it, it's not possible to say whether the tyres being filled with air was the cause of the accident or simply a contributing factor (aircraft tyres filled with 100% nitrogen also explode from time to time, usually as a result of brake overheating, and sometimes result in collateral damage, so nothing new in that).

Either way, no investigator would make reference to the centre undercarriage on a Boeing 727, as there is no such thing, which màkes one wonder what else may have been lost in translation between the original investigation report and Wikipedia's account of it.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
It was my first flight with any bike so deflated the tires. Upon arrival at the hotel I popped into the LBS and got a hundred psi into the tires. I'm happy enough.

D

Deleted member 26715

I did this first time I took the bike on the plane. Now I don't do it at all. They won't ask you any questions as long as you have paid the exorbitant fee that they charge.
I've never deflated my tyres & I've never paid to have the bike onboard it's always been classed as sporting goods & included in the cost.

Globalti

Legendary Member
An aircraft hold is held at around 10,000 feet pressure so as to ensure the people inside it have enough oxygen to live.

Do the competitors in a bike race deflate their tyres when they cross a 10,000 foot col in the Alps? No they don't.
Do the tyres burst? No they don't.
Would a tyre bursting in the hold endanger an aircraft? No it wouldn't.
Do pressurised aircraft fuselages have unpressurised holds? No they don't, the floor would explode downwards.

Do pressurised aircraft fuselages have unpressurised holds? No they don't, the floor would explode downwards.
In support of this sentence, you forgot to mention that pets and livestock are routinely transported in holds. I believe on a certain Irish airline they even crate humans for transport in the sub-economy section.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On overheating tyres, there's a video on YouTube that shows a brake test on a 747 where the brake discs can be seen glowing red hot. Once the aircraft comes to a stop the tyres automatically deflate so as to prevent an explosion. A tyre explosion releases a huge amount of energy and can cause damage to systems that can cause a fire, as explained by others in this thread. A woman was killed by a car tyre exploding when she held it on her lap in a small car: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8600833.stm

Blind, unquestioning obedience to idiotic rules really boils my wee; I will challenge anything I see as jobsworth idiocy. Unfortunately jobsworths have to be given rules because when they are allowed to exercise judgement they often get it wrong, due to being idiots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom