When group riding on your fixed how do you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
...manage with the etiquette of these things?

I hang back, practise track stands, and go through last but have found sometimes I have to dismount to go through the narrows...

which gives rise to another question, how to tackle these tight very slow manouvres on fixed? is it just a matter of practise?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I don't find those more of a problem on fixed than on gears. I'm not sure why they should be so, unless you're pushing a very large gear. If the barriers are very tight, put a hand on the post to guide you round.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fine - do a few of these on our monthly 'bike to work' rides, and out of the 6-8 in our group, 2 or 3 us are fixed.

No toe overlap on my bike, with guards.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Outside to inside to outside like an apex bend, but somewhat slower? You have more control at slow speed riding fixed so they should actually be easier, if you have a sketchy moment maybe steady yourself with one hand on the rail?

Try learning to trackstand one handed, or no handed (I havent quite got this down yet) but it will greatly improve handling at low speed. If its super tight you could always combine trackstanding with hopping the bike around.

RedBike

I seem to be missing the point of why these would be any harder fixed than geared.

I would probably find a path like that a nightmare riding fixed in a group though. I really struggle with pot-holes. If i'm in a group I can't always see them coming, or even slow down or dodge them.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
RedBike said:
I seem to be missing the point of why these would be any harder fixed than geared.

I would probably find a path like that a nightmare riding fixed in a group though. I really struggle with pot-holes. If i'm in a group I can't always see them coming, or even slow down or dodge them.

They should be easier really since you have more control at low speed on a fixed bike, but then again if you are new to it, then sometimes when concentrating on navigating objects etc can cause you to forget to keep pedalling and make it a bit more awkward. That was my experience anyway.

toekneep

I find manoeuvring through any confined space generally easier on fixed. I do occasionally unclip one foot but then I'm a relative novice on fixed. I just feel like I have more control at low speed than on the geared bike.

Top Bottom