When is a cyclist not a true cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
On my travels, either by car or cycling, I see many people riding bikes in all sorts of gear. Some ride old decrepit MTBs with jeans and anorak on, others are dressed "properly", by that I mean wearing proper cyling gear, with or without helmet, others get off and walk as soon as they come to some sort of incline, etc... So what is the criteria for being a "proper cyclist"?
I regard the former ( old decrepit MTBs) as only occasional cyclists who use their bikes only as a mean to get from a to b , but have no other real interest in cycling really.
What do you think?

I think the real question is "What is a TRUE cyclist anyway?"

I'm a person who happens to be on a bicycle and enjoys it. I don't see myself as being part of any sort of elite club or anything.

Onthedrops

Veteran
I'm a newbie to cycling. Does that make me an Apprentice Cyclist?

Seriously, re the OP. Bit of a ridiculous statement which positively screams snobbery! Does it really matter what bike you ride? Does it really matter if you are not lycrad up top to toe? At the moment I own a cheap pair of padded lycra shorts. They are worn beneath my trackies. A pair of trainers on my feet, compression top, poly footie shirt and a windproof jacket topped off with a Specialized lid. A bit of a mish mash. Thing is, I aim to build up my cycling wardrobe gradually as I simply cannot afford to adorn myself in lycra, clipless shoes etc. All in good time.

Kins

Über Member
TBH I look a bit of a tramp on a my bike. It definitely looks better than I do. Some lycra clad bods look at me strangely but I always nod my head in acknowledgement, and most of the time get a nod back.

Probably bike snobs out there, usually are for what ever hobby you take up, but long as they don't interfere (oh eer) with me I am quite happy being the Compo of my local area.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you are are cyclist when not riding a bike, maybe then you are a true cyclist?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I play electric bass but I am not a musician. Go figure.

Really, why is that?... if a tune resonates from the instrument then I would determine that your a musician because you have the skill to do that, strumming on it alone does not make a nice noise.
In the same way that to be a cyclist you need to have the skill of balancing on a bike.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Really, why is that?... if a tune resonates from the instrument then I would determine that your a musician because you have the skill to do that, strumming on it alone does not make a nice noise.
In the same way that to be a cyclist you need to have the skill of balancing on a bike.
Being a musician requires a mindset, a certain state-of-mind. It requires that making music is your 'thing'. It requires you to say "I'm a musician". That requires definition, your own self-definition and the definition of others as to what a musician says and does and how they behave.

Playing bass just requires some technical skills, a bit of music theory knowledge, muscle memory and a strong sense of rhythm. One can quite happily play bass to a good level without ever becoming, or wanting to become, a musician.

All my children can ride bikes. None of them are cyclists.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If it needs an electric bass it's not music...
There's Music and there's music donchaknow.

Even some orchestra upright bass players are using amplification these days.

And in my gigging days I found transporting an upright bass by bicycle/bus/tube/train in London almost impossible.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Being a musician requires a mindset, a certain state-of-mind. It requires that making music is your 'thing'. It requires you to say "I'm a musician". That requires definition, your own self-definition and the definition of others as to what a musician says and does and how they behave.

Playing bass just requires some technical skills, a bit of music theory knowledge, muscle memory and a strong sense of rhythm. One can quite happily play bass to a good level without ever becoming, or wanting to become, a musician.

All my children can ride bikes. None of them are cyclists.

Fair point, hope you don't mind me asking I was interested in your reasoning. :thumbsup:

Think I sussed this one out when I was sitting in the car being taken to a bike shop to fix my bike on Saturday so I could ride the bike again on Sunday...

My husband summed up my thoughts exactly - how come if feels like it takes much longer to drive there than cycle there? the reality is that it takes 45 mins to drive to where we were going (only place with the part) whereas cycling it would have taken around twice that time by a more direct route, yet it felt like driving it took much longer than cycling it would have done!

Now I know I'm a true cyclist at heart! I can justify hours on a bike and claim it is quicker than the car when in reality it is not!

Top Bottom