When is a hill a hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
4.5%-9.2% gradient doable on the top chain ring with an 11-30 cassette with an ave power of 417w. Completed the 3.92 mile course in 18m 43 seconds. Not a hill?

Nope, not a hill just a manageable incline. If you don't have to change, you have far too much left 'in the tank' for it to be considered hard enough to classify.

I'm well aware that on this definition, what isn't a hill to some may be a mountain to others. I witness it whenever I go for a ride with the wife and she moans about natural undulations in the road!

GrasB

Veteran
Nope, not a hill just a manageable incline. If you don't have to change, you have far too much left 'in the tank' for it to be considered hard enough to classify.
Because I didn't need my 2 lowest gears I had 'too much left in the tank', really?

Because I didn't need my 2 lowest gears I had 'too much left in the tank', really?

Yep! :biggrin: I am allowed to have my own subjective definition, as is everyone else. Additionally, I don't like cross chaining so big cog to big cog is a no no for me. If I have to change, then I honourably grant whatever slope I am on the title of 'Hill'. :smile:

yello

Whatever the definition of a hill, I reckon there ought be some relationship to how tired you're feeling.

iLB

Hello there
If it provides the opportunity to dish out some pain to others, "proper" hills last more than 5 minutes too.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Hills need a real name.

Winnats Pass, Snake Pass, Long Hill, Woodhead Pass, Blaize Hill, Old Brickworks, Cat And Fiddle, Axe Edge, Dumbers, Pyms Chair :wacko:, Dead Mans Hill, Swiss Hill (and it's a little hill only, just cobbled) and the big daddy Holme Moss.

Others down south: Box Hill, Dunkery Beacon, Watership Down (which is a real place).

longers

Legendary Member
If the road/track you're pedalling up doesn't go over or very near to the summit, is it just a climb rather than a "hill"?

4.5%-9.2% gradient doable on the top chain ring with an 11-30 cassette with an ave power of 417w. Completed the 3.92 mile course in 18m 43 seconds. Not a hill?
Must get together for a ride sometime as often over in Cambridge, I can't match those sort of figures though. Do you ever ride / race with anyone else? Might be over this Sunday for the Cambridge CC 90 mile reliability ride, fancy a go? Did the 75 mile one last Sunday, brilliant ride with over 100 turning out.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You just got me curious ...

The last time I was moderately fit I did the Cragg Vale climb from Mytholmroyd - 3.3% average gradient with one steepish section mid-way at about 8-9%, slight cross-headwind for the second half, 5.5 miles - in 23.5 minutes. Plugging those numbers in plus my weight (13 stone) etc., according to an online calculator I averaged about 320 W for the climb which quite surprises me!

I can't imagine averaging 417 W for very long but it looks as though I could get close to 400 if I really worked at it.

You just got me curious ...

The last time I was moderately fit I did the Cragg Vale climb from Mytholmroyd - 3.3% average gradient with one steepish section mid-way at about 8-9%, slight cross-headwind for the second half, 5.5 miles - in 23.5 minutes. Plugging those numbers in plus my weight (13 stone) etc., according to an online calculator I averaged about 320 W for the climb which quite surprises me!

I can't imagine averaging 417 W for very long but it looks as though I could get close to 400 if I really worked at it.

GB is a very strong lad Colin, I looked up some of the blokes I know who are doing 50mins for a 25, average weights between 73 and 82kg and they can only generate that kind of wattage over 5 mins. If we get to ride together I have a feeling I'm going to be pushed to hang on to his wheel, looking forward to it actually.

GB is a very strong lad Colin, I looked up some of the blokes I know who are doing 50mins for a 25, average weights between 73 and 82kg and they can only generate that kind of wattage over 5 mins. If we get to ride together I have a feeling I'm going to be pushed to hang on to his wheel, looking forward to it actually.

Heh, I knew a fixed rider would call me on my definition! ;)

And GB being a strong rider just means that what I'd consider a hill, he may sneer at. :smile:

Top Bottom