When is a wind too much wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Today's ride made me wonder at what point does a head wind become a bit too much.

I did a 50 mile circuit, about 30 miles of which was into a head wind.

Hard work, even with the ebike, although I use it on low power to get a bit more exercise.

I was riding with a strongish roadie, and the pair of us were well cream crackered at the end of the route which usually leaves us no more than pleasantly tired.

According to the BBC website, the wind was up to 16mph.

I reckon anything under 10mph isn't too sore, but get into double figures and things start to get ugly.

What do you think is a bearable wind speed?

Drago

Legendary Member
As long as I can still pedal forward, I'm fine. I'd never claim to be the Worlds fastest cyclist, but my one cycling gift is to be able to use hidden zen powers to enter a trance like state when faced with wind and hills. I just zone in, switch off, and grind away. I wouldn't break any speed records, but dont seem to suffer unduly with tiredness etc as a consequence.

That does not seem too much, I reckon there is a limit tho as it can get a bit silly if you get battered by string winds. I have no idea why* but I am going to say 43 mph is my limit.

* I do actually, as if I see anything above this I don't go out - not that I go out anyway (before anyone else highlights that)

Sharky

Guru
We ran our club 10 earlier in the year when the winds were around 20mph on the BBC website and several times, we have cancelled the event when winds were gusting up to 40 mph. I guess the limit is somewhere between 20 & 40mph.

Katherine

Guru
Today's ride made me wonder at what point does a head wind become a bit too much.

I did a 50 mile circuit, about 30 miles of which was into a head wind.

Hard work, even with the ebike, although I use it on low power to get a bit more exercise.

I was riding with a strongish roadie, and the pair of us were well cream crackered at the end of the route which usually leaves us no more than pleasantly tired.

I reckon anything under 10mph isn't too sore, but get into double figures and things start to get ugly.

What do you think is a bearable wind speed?
When you have to keep peddling to make any headway downhill.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Depends how I feel on that specific day.

I've found 40mph winds easy going yet struggled with 10mph if I've been tired or carrying a virus.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If it's above 15mph base level and gusts above 30mph I try to devise routes which don't spend long heading into it. It's not so much that it's harder work - I just slow down and use a lower gear - it's just that it's annoying after a while.

Not fighting it makes sense, although for those of us who lack the mental acuity to do that, it's hard not to get cross, frustrated and dispirited when you are grinding along on the level in low gear.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I love it when riding into the wind with the noise that goes with it, then you turn round and it all goes quiet, your speed improves greatly and you seem to move effortlessly. I don't go out when wind is over 15mph and always try to come home with the wind behind me.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
At least we got one reply in before the farting comments started.

Well done to @Drago for resisting the temptation.

I would say it was a cycling joke, not a farting joke.

In the interests of seriousness 20mph on the tandem, though we've been fully loaded in 30mph cross wind- that was fun!

Solo bike- up to 30.

I'd agree with @Moodyman , some days 20mph is fine, other days a 10mph wind makes me want to give up.

Lee_M

Guru
here in north wales, if you didnt go out when the wind was 15mph you'd never go out.

I was always depressed by wind until I read somewhere that the best thing is just to accept you'll be slower, drop into a lower gear and just keep working - you'll still get there and you'll get a good workout

maybe I'm shallow but thinking about it like that just made it easier to put up with

Top Bottom