When is a wind too much wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Our mob says over 18 is too much.
I would tend to agree with them. I have found the rain can still be enjoyable despite adding another dimension to the overall challenge, whilst wind is best avoided. I still complete my commute in the wind, but the usual direction is against me in the morning when I'm going mostly down hill and obviously helping me going mostly up hill. I might not be just as keen if it was the other way about.

Milzy

Guru
I would tend to agree with them. I have found the rain can still be enjoyable despite adding another dimension to the overall challenge, whilst wind is best avoided. I still complete my commute in the wind, but the usual direction is against me in the morning when I'm going mostly down hill and obviously helping me going mostly up hill. I might not be just as keen if it was the other way about.
We came back from York in an 18 head wind and didn't ease off. Almost bonked.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think I'm broadly in agreement with most here. For a circular ride, I'm happy with planning around a forecast up to the mid teens. Above that, I'll probably look for a better day. The stronger the wind gets, the more likely I am to do a loopy ride, with frequent changes of direction, rather than an out and back.

I do prefer a definite wind to "light and variable" though. The latter is ideal on tour (insofar as I can remember what they're like) but on a circular ride it can feel as though the direction is always turning against you - although it probably isn't.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I can usually pick and choose when I ride. Once the forecast gets above 15mph I'll look for a different day to ride. That strength of wind isn't too bad, but it will mean 30mph on the tops. I once did a ride that had a stretch of about 7 miles into a 30mph headwind. It was the only time I felt like chucking my bike in a ditch and calling a taxi

What I do try to do is plan my ride so the hardest climbs are tailwind

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
About 20 mph for me, I would push that to 25 mph if the weather had been windy for a week or more and I hadn't been out much as a result.

I prefer light winds of below 10 mph, but usually find they are between 10 and 15. I try to plan my route so that the wind is behind me on the way home, but living on the west coast, that is difficult when the wind is a westerly (although a mate of mine who works on an Irish Sea oil rig did get a bike on the cycle to work scheme, so you never know :laugh:). I have managed to develop a few routes that minimise the time you face a headwind for winds of different directions, but sometimes I think if we go and find hills to climb to keep up our "hill skill", why do we try to avoid headwinds so much, they give us a great workout just like hills?

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
........ but sometimes I think if we go and find hills to climb to keep up our "hill skill", why do we try to avoid headwinds so much, they give us a great workout just like hills?

Good point. Also I'd rather be cycling into a headwind than replicating the experience by sitting on a turbo trainer looking at the back of a garage door.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Good point. Also I'd rather be cycling into a headwind than replicating the experience by sitting on a turbo trainer looking at the back of a garage door.

Absolutely, I used to go to the gym and spend time on the exercise bikes and cross trainers, not as bad as staring at a garage door because there were other people moving around the gym and a good view out of the window, but still so boring compared with being out on a real bicycle with real wheels in the fresh air.

It really depends, 15-20mph is fine. I find often that it's the gustiness of the wind that is the limiting factor, once that's up around 35-40 I often wonder if it's worth it.

johnnyb47

Guru
I think when this happends

Brilliant video..I wonder what wind speeds were blowing that day. It would of been great to cycle with it behind you though and break a few land speed records lol.
I personally don't mind cycling into headwinds within reason. Its when it becomes blustery is when i draw the line. It can feel quite dangerous when a strong gust hits you unexpectedly , especially from the side..

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
When small branches are getting torn off trees and roof slates fly through the air it may be an idea to wear some form of head protection. I am a bit reluctant to use the H word.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I ride shorter rides in any wind over 15, as my road bike isn't really very good at tracking and staying in lane when trucks and such go past me. I usually ride a mountain bike or such above 15, but I can't not ride, as it's always windy around here. That will get me up to about 35, after that I'm using it as a bike maintenance day or such.

Top Bottom