When is a woman too old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's alright saying you should wear what you like and feck 'em,but i wore these in Accy town centre last summer and some sexist beast wolf whistled at me!:shy:
http://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/...m_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel
Not surprised. Those are horrific...a pair of black Lycra Cycling shorts isn’t

Agree about white. I don’t want to see some random’s hairy ass crack when I’m riding xx(

You're cycling past ppl in lycra shorts, if you're going fast enough they'll probably not notice what you look like. Even if they do you've probably passed them by before they've thought up their witless comment.

You wear them because you're a cyclist and they're the most comfortable item to wear when going for a proper ride. It's practical and common sense to wear lycra shorts. If you cared more about looks more than health, fitness and doing possibly one of the most enjoyable type of exercise there is then you'd probably not cycle. You'd be in a weightwatchers trying to get even more excess weight off by counting food points (but really having a sneaky cream cake on the side to cheer you up because you've not reached your goals...again!).

Sorry for the harsh alternative scenario to cycling in lycra. It's just that if more people did what they wanted and to hell with everyone else thought about their looks I suspect we'd be a happy nation. Although probably a fatter nation because there's more lazy slobs not doing any exercise than there are those doing exercise. Easier to waste money on weight loss tablet and unused gym membership than actually taking good care of yourself.

To the op, it's just my opinion but an overweight person in lycra, on a bike, making the effort to get / stay healthy looks better than someone fat who's doing nothing to get healthy.

Lycra is just a fabric component that aids comfort. You can choose it or choose a baggy mtb/touring but cycle specific pair of shorts. It's about what works best for you when you're cycling. You choose the right components, bike, tyres, etc for your riding. Lycra is just another right thing to choose.

BTW I don't care about my "look". I wear what I choose to wear. I'm mid forties and life has more important things for me too worry about than clothing. So I don't understand vanity and complexes people have over clothing. Besides people who want to judge you on looks will do so no matter what you look like or what you're wearing. Nothing will change that.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wear what I want, and if they don't think that I look utterly awesome than that's their problem.

Going back the the OP, its difficult sometimes not to care what people think. However, with age and practice you'll save such thoughts for people and things that really matter.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think the suns blinding your screen too* :smile:

* Wrong thread.

Doh! Funny you should say that - it's such a nice day that I'm sitting outside with the laptop and the sun is causing problems. Not sure I can really blame that though. Hope no one objects to the spoilers...

Misplaced posts deleted.

Isn't it strange how we perceive ourselves.
You will never ever catch in any form of leggings, jeggings, skinny jeans or jeans for that matter. I'm a skirt wearer come hail or shine. I tried the tunic top/ leggings combo once and instantly dismissed it.

My cycling regalia is quite different story. I will proudly walk the corridors at work adorned with lycra leggings, sport fit jacket, and bright florescent pink socks.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Im sure people look at me and say "what a fat old git wearing lycra on that flash bike of his, who does he think he is". I dont even have a "screw you a-hole" face coz I dont even care.

Ride what you want, where you want, when you want. Old has nothing to do with it. If you're fat, like me, the fat will soon come off. Or maybe it wont. Again, dont think into it too much.

get out there and ride, the weather is awesome!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks guys xx gonna carry on, its not like this is the fashion centre of france rather the opposite! They dont know me and if i carry on i wont be 20lb over for long xxxx
Our club has many female members and not one of them seems to care how they look on a bike - one exception who won’t wear anything but Rapha.. Basically on a bike ride we all see each other at our worst; silly clothes, dirty, wet, hot, sweaty, tired. Why worry about the odd bulge?

Occasionally there are conversations about weight but that can be F to F, M to M or F to M. I’m no longer surprised by the personal nature of conversation on bike rides but used to be. I’m told it’s because there is no eye contact.

Wear what you want, fellow cyclists aren’t judging you. If the weight thing is the real issue then lose it. I’m 63 and freely admit to losing weight for pure vanity. I simply did not want to start looking old. No one was judging me but I got a real buzz from the compliments on losing it.

Top Bottom