When is too early to post a thread about Christmas etiquette?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If we must have Christmas music in the workplace, i suggest it not only be restricted to a single day, but also to the particular hour when there is a 'Well done' message delivered by snr management, and everyone celebrates by stuffing treats and mulled wine before p***ing off early to the pub, drinking too much, and someone getting off with Geoff or Jenny from accounts, or perhaps both of them.

Well, that's how it was in the 90s. I would hope the modern workplace is more restrained (less karaoke).

Chief Broom

Veteran
Oh dear. If I had my way the whole commercial craptastic blowout would be BANNED.

I don't "hate" Christmas, despite what many Xmasophiles seem to feel free to express, but it means nothing to me.

I'm not christian, I'm vegetarian/pescatarian and I loathe both the texture and flavour of dried vine fruits. I think that sufficiently explains my lack of excitement towards the stereotypical Xmas Meal. So Xmas invitations are always turned down unless they come from another irreligious vegetarian who's happy for me to bring a sherry trifle ...

But it's the explanations that are demanded! Phew!

I told you last year, AND the year before, WHY are you asking me AGAIN? In any case what gives you the right to be so very nosey and damned intrusive about my private life and what I do with my spare time.
Typical conversation:
Them: What are you doing for christmas, knitty?
Me: Dunno, depends on the weather on the day.
Them: What do you mean, the weather?
Me : Well I'm hardly likely to go for a bike ride if its blowing a hoolie and pouring down rain, am I? That's knitting weather.
Them: (Shocked expression on face) No, I mean what are you doing on Christmas day itself?
Me: (just getting into my stride) Yes, what I said, what I do on Christmas day will depend on the weather ...
Them: But ... but ...
Me: (decidi n I can't stand it any longer) Look, I don't believe in the stories, I'm vegetarian, I don't like sprouts and don't like anything with currants and raisins in. So no Christmas pud, mince pies or christmas cake for me, thanks but no thanks. But I hope you have a lovely one and the kids get at least some of what they asked for.
Them: Oh, I was thinking you might like to come along to St X's christmas dinner for those who live alone; we could pick you up and take you there.
Me: I'm sure it's a kind thought (it's not, they just want the 'feel good' factor at Xmas, while not upsetting any of their sensibilities in the way helping the homeless, addicts, the mentally disturbed etc might.) but you know I wouldn't enjoy it, as I've explained before.

And so it goes, year after year after chuffin' year ...
Its best to keep an axe handy at the front door....then if someone comes knocking with the intention of 'enforcing' jollity it can be buried in their forehead :becool: :okay:

Its best to keep an axe handy at the front door....then if someone comes knocking with the intention of 'enforcing' jollity it can be buried in their forehead :becool: :okay:

Hmmm, I thought I'd sufficiently explained my lack of excitement towards the stereotypical Xmas celebrations and adequately clarified that I am all for jollity and merriment - with the appropriate people/refreshments - at ANY time of year.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
If we must have Christmas music in the workplace, i suggest it not only be restricted to a single day, but also to the particular hour when there is a 'Well done' message delivered by snr management, and everyone celebrates by stuffing treats and mulled wine before p***ing off early to the pub, drinking too much, and someone getting off with Geoff or Jenny from accounts, or perhaps both of them.

Well, that's how it was in the 90s. I would hope the modern workplace is more restrained (less karaoke).

I’ve worked in accounts pretty much all my working life and have never got off with anyone at work, maybe it’s because I’m not called Geoff or Jenny.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s 22nd December. Sainsburys is packed with festive shoppers and an employee is stacking Easter eggs on the shelves.
I even spoke to her, she couldn’t believe it either.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Our Christmas lights were finally switched off last night (8-Jan) so today is quite dark in the JtB cave.

PS. There is one exception; these Christmas lights shall remain on until 2nd February which is the traditional end of the Christmas season.
06079E4A-5820-4007-88D4-9CD76DEAE483.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom