When is too early to post a thread about Christmas etiquette?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh dear. If I had my way the whole commercial craptastic blowout would be BANNED.

I don't "hate" Christmas, despite what many Xmasophiles seem to feel free to express, but it means nothing to me.

I'm not christian, I'm vegetarian/pescatarian and I loathe both the texture and flavour of dried vine fruits. I think that sufficiently explains my lack of excitement towards the stereotypical Xmas Meal. So Xmas invitations are always turned down unless they come from another irreligious vegetarian who's happy for me to bring a sherry trifle ...

But it's the explanations that are demanded! Phew!

I told you last year, AND the year before, WHY are you asking me AGAIN? In any case what gives you the right to be so very nosey and damned intrusive about my private life and what I do with my spare time.
Typical conversation:
Them: What are you doing for christmas, knitty?
Me: Dunno, depends on the weather on the day.
Them: What do you mean, the weather?
Me : Well I'm hardly likely to go for a bike ride if its blowing a hoolie and pouring down rain, am I? That's knitting weather.
Them: (Shocked expression on face) No, I mean what are you doing on Christmas day itself?
Me: (just getting into my stride) Yes, what I said, what I do on Christmas day will depend on the weather ...
Them: But ... but ...
Me: (decidi n I can't stand it any longer) Look, I don't believe in the stories, I'm vegetarian, I don't like sprouts and don't like anything with currants and raisins in. So no Christmas pud, mince pies or christmas cake for me, thanks but no thanks. But I hope you have a lovely one and the kids get at least some of what they asked for.
Them: Oh, I was thinking you might like to come along to St X's christmas dinner for those who live alone; we could pick you up and take you there.
Me: I'm sure it's a kind thought (it's not, they just want the 'feel good' factor at Xmas, while not upsetting any of their sensibilities in the way helping the homeless, addicts, the mentally disturbed etc might.) but you know I wouldn't enjoy it, as I've explained before.

And so it goes, year after year after chuffin' year ...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh dear. If I had my way the whole commercial craptastic blowout would be BANNED.

I don't "hate" Christmas, despite what many Xmasopholes seem to feel free to express, but it means nothing to me.

I'm not christian, I'm vegetarian/pescatarian and I loathe both the texture and flavour of dried vine fruits. I think that sufficiently explains my lack of excitement towards the stereotypical Xmas Meal. So Xmas invitations are always turned down unless they come from another irreligious vegetarian who's happy for me to bring a sherry trifle ...

I told you last year, AND the year before, WHY are you asking me AGAIN? In any case what gives you the right to be so very nosey and damned intrusive about my private life and what I do with my spare time.
Typical conversation:
Me : Well I'm hardly likely to go for a bike ride if its blowing a hoolie and pouring down rain, am I? That's knitting weather.
Them: (Shocked expression on face) No, I mean what are you doing on Christmas day itself?
Me: (just getting into my stride) Yes, what I said, what I do on Christmas day will depend on the weather ...
Me: (decidi n I can't stand it any longer) Look, I don't believe in the stories, I'm vegetarian, I don't like sprouts and don't like anything with currants and raisins in. So no Christmas pud, mince pies or christmas cake for me, thanks but no thanks. But I hope you have a lovely one and the kids get at least some of what they asked for.
Them: Oh, I was thinking you might like to come along to St X's christmas dinner for those who live alone; we could pick you up and take you there.
Me: I'm sure it's a kind thought (it's not, they just want the 'feel good' factor at Xmas, while not upsetting any of their sensibilities in the way helping the homeless, addicts, the mentally disturbed etc might.) but you know I wouldn't enjoy it, as I've explained before.

You're not a Christougenniatikophobic are you?

You're not a Christougenniatikophobic are you?

Not at all! I have many lovely memories of Xmas as a child, and as an adult in places where the 'celebrations' and rampant consumerism were not what they are here, and today. I also happen to not like many of the typical foodstuffs eaten around this time in the UK. Replace the turkey with some sort of veggie wreath - or, for my pescatarian appetite, with something like sea trout, or smoked salmon - the sprouts with baby kale, or steamed cabbage, and the plethora of vine fruit desserts with a sherry trifle, a tipsy laird and/or a buche de noel, and I'll happily accept an invitation to good food and merriment.
I still think the 'reason' openly given for it is all so much nonsense - myth and legend, that's all, and prefer to think of it as a link to a much more distant past, when there was real fear that the year might not 'turn' at all.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I am, apparently, being dispatched to the attic to sort out the baubles, tree et cetera on Sunday.
Ho Ho Ho 🎅

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
More to the poibt, when is the earliest legal time to change to a Christmas avatar? 🤔
🎅

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not at all! I have many lovely memories of Xmas as a child, and as an adult in places where the 'celebrations' and rampant consumerism were not what they are here, and today. I also happen to not like many of the typical foodstuffs eaten around this time in the UK. Replace the turkey with some sort of veggie wreath - or, for my pescatarian appetite, with something like sea trout, or smoked salmon - the sprouts with baby kale, or steamed cabbage, and the plethora of vine fruit desserts with a sherry trifle, a tipsy laird and/or a buche de noel, and I'll happily accept an invitation to good food and merriment.
I still think the 'reason' openly given for it is all so much nonsense - myth and legend, that's all, and prefer to think of it as a link to a much more distant past, when there was real fear that the year might not 'turn' at all.

Your problem with sprouts is obviously that you don't cook them for long enough.....must be a minimum of 3 weeks.

I don't "hate" Christmas, despite what many Xmasopholes seem to feel free to express, but it means nothing to me.

Typical conversation:

Could you just answer the question please?

Your problem with sprouts is obviously that you don't cook them for long enough.....must be a minimum of 3 weeks.

Ah, I see! Thank you for the explanation, you are the first to provide a real solution to that problem ... the sulphurous stink issuing, together with steam, from so many kitchen windows on and around the day itself, just means the cook forgot to start early enough!

As a child, we would have a delicious meal - home-reared, or Uncle Albert reared turkey, homegrown veggies - NO SPROUTS unless they were baby ones - and luscious desserts with home-grown fruits and lashings of whipped cream with various slight 'flavours'. Dad was a keen gardener, growing all sorts of exotics long before they became available in the UK, and mum was an excellent cook.

Could you just answer the question please?

Well I think there is no date at which it is appropriate to post a thread about Xmas etiquette, as it is, in my view, a nonsensical subject.
However, I do understand that, culturally speaking, some may find such a thread useful or even necessary, if they want to 'fit in' with those around them.
So, to answer your Q, if push comes to shove, and balancing the weight of Father Christmas against that of Jultomte, I'd say 23rd December, or a day ot two earlier if that date falls on a Saturday or Sunday, or if you work awkward shifts.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Mid November is fine, it's when a lot of people start planning christmas. Some have not got much to plan, but for me it's more about getting my presents bought early in case there are supply/delivery problems. It's always been a big celebration in my family, even though I'm not really one for putting up decorations and such, but for me it's all about getting the family together.

My Dad was in hospital last year and the year before that it was Covid (I think?) so basically we have not had a proper family christmas for a few years now. This year my mum has insisted on hosting, so we will have 14 family members at lunch, probably play a few games after. Only down side is I have to take my son back to his mum's in the evening but my partner has volunteered to drive so I can have a few sherries

Top Bottom