When Should I Need to Change Chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mkmark666

Hi
Some advice needed on chain ring wear. Have done approx 12k miles on an FSA chainset, pretty much all of it on large ring (it's flat round here and I'm lightweight)

I've attached a photo. Would you consider I need to change the large ring or is it still OK do you reckon

?
thanks in advance

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Definitely needs changing. Got the old shark teeth going on with that chainring.

OP
OP
M

mkmark666

Ianrauk.
Thanks for the advice. I've already got the new one ready to go on but just wanted to be certain there weren't any more miles left in the current one!
Cheers

Drago

Legendary Member
Provided it's not slipping or owt at the moment, I'd leave it until you've squeezed every last mile out of the chain as well. I'm a big, heavy, powerful stripper and never had to replace a chain right yet.

gbb

Legendary Member
Agree with Drago, if it's not causing any problems, ride it out with the existing chain then replace both.

Equally, I m of the opinion, theres a maintenance cost to owning a bike (or anything mechanical for that matter) and we shouldn't get too hooked up in extending every last ounce of life out of everything . Replace a little early, sleep easy. It's a trade off, maximise cost efficiency against maximise peace of mind.

faster

Über Member
There's not really much point in changing it until it slips with a new chain.

Looks okay to me.

There's not really much point in changing it until it slips with a new chain.

Looks okay to me.
That's not how it works.

OP
OP
M

mkmark666

thanks everyone. changed it this afternoon b4 I read the post saying it may not need changing! New chain at the same time (which definitely needed doing).
cheers..

Reactions: gbb

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hope you don't mind if I also observe that your FD cage looks too high: 2-3mm above the large ring's teeth is about right. That should mean your front shifting operates as it should and minimises the chance of losing the chain 'outwards'.
Found this for you: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/tutorials/520/how-to-adjust-your-front-derailleur
"The front derailleur should run parallel to the chainrings . . . [and] when directly above the large chainring, the outer edge of the derailleur should sit 2-3mm above the teeth of the chainring. If necessary, shuffle it up or down [the seat tube/braze on] before retightening the bolt."

"

OP
OP
M

mkmark666

thanks. I'll get my ruler out and have a measure. It hasn't been moved since I bought it from new but you never know...

OP
OP
M

mkmark666

Hope you don't mind if I also observe that your FD cage looks too high: 2-3mm above the large ring's teeth is about right. That should mean your front shifting operates as it should and minimises the chance of losing the chain 'outwards'.
Found this for you: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/tutorials/520/how-to-adjust-your-front-derailleur
"The front derailleur should run parallel to the chainrings . . . [and] when directly above the large chainring, the outer edge of the derailleur should sit 2-3mm above the teeth of the chainring. If necessary, shuffle it up or down [the seat tube/braze on] before retightening the bolt."

"
so the thing is. The FD is about 3mm from the chainring at the top. however, it's definitely not parallel with the chain ring with a much larger gap at the 'lower end' (as you spotted). Not sure how I can rotate it to make it parallel though. Maybe where it bolts into the seat tube perhaps.

Top Bottom