When to replace a BB cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I had a BB cassette fitted (lbs), must be 6 years ago now. I cycle about 2000 miles per year; all months and weathers.

Just recently I had to remove the BB (see stuck seat post saga!) so I have the opportunity to replace it with a new one. However, it is turning freely without sounding gritty or wobble so do I need to replace it? Seems Strange that it has lasted so long.

If I hold the spindle and turn the cassette it doesn’t spin freely (like when you spin your pedals), but feels like it is turning on grease. Is it supposed to spin or just turn freely? Any ideas?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If it feels smooth and there's no play, it sounds fine to me.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Zippy said:
If I hold the spindle and turn the cassette it doesn’t spin freely (like when you spin your pedals), but feels like it is turning on grease. Is it supposed to spin or just turn freely? Any ideas?

Drag from the bearing seals - new ones will feel like this too.

Norm

Landslide said:
Drag from the bearing seals - new ones will feel like this too.
Indeed, because there is very little weight so no momentum to overcome the drag and they'll stop fairly fast.

I just re-greased my pedal axles - too much time playing in fords. Anyway, if I hold the axle and spin the pedal, it'll rotate 5 or 6 times before slowing. If I hold the pedal and spin the axle at the same speed as I had the pedal, it stops pretty much before the first rotation has completed.

Top Bottom