When will bike boom end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
1 - It won't end, numbers will continue to rise then slowly plateau once most golf clubs have closed down and ever more obtuse brains fail to embrace the idea of cycling.

2 - The last bike boom (hardly a boom) ended in the 60s when cheap car ownership became possible. Even our own MatthewT has deserted his once-loved bike for the joys of motoring. He'll be back in 20 years when he realises he's become unfit and overweight.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
agree outside of London seems to be more a pop than a boom and I think the TdF is going to be another flash in the pan, like full tennis courts during Wimbledon fortnight that tail off again quickly. No more cyclists on my roads right now & the bike shed at work is still me and a couple of abandoned rusting hulks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I work in a company of 275 employees and as far as I know I'm the only sports cyclist. My commute is 21 miles but I have almost never used the bike because of the lack of facilities here for showering and bike storage. A handful of lab and factory staff who live locally use BSOs and dump them in a quiet corner. Currently we are expanding with an £8m programme of investment in a new factory, offices etc. yet there are no plans for a decent shower suite or secure bike storage. Our CEO was interested in buying a bike recently (I had to talk him out of buying a £6000 arse-in-the-air racing Cannondale) but now he has shelved the plan because his wife witnessed a bike crash and told him he mustn't risk his life. A hopeless situation and one in which 99% of people find themselves.

Brandane

Legendary Member
1. When will current bike boom end?
2. Why did the last bike boom end?

Wasn't aware that there was a bike boom; either now or in the past. Probably not applicable to the west of Scotland, as the weather means it will never be a mass participation sport. There are a consistent number of cyclists around, but we are a special breed :laugh:. The masses prefer the shelter of the car.

davdandy

Yes there is a boom,i see loads more bikes now than i ever did before Wiggins won the Tour and the track cycling where winning everything.I myself am a victim of the Wiggins effect so that's one on the list and there are thousands of others.

But not a bad thing,its a good thing.I would probably not got a bike if it wasn't for the attention these guys have brought to the sport and i for one am eternally grateful.I only wish i had don't it years before.When will it end,maybe when the Brits stop winning,so lets hope that doesn't happen.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Our bike sheds at work are still steadily filling up. The numbers will drop when the weather and night draws in, but each time a few more stay on and the overall trend is upwards :smile:

Top Bottom