When will my arse stop hurting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mootaineer

ColinJ said:
I'd never heard of them - but they sound like a great idea, though pricey at about £5 a time. I read that the patches are washable and reusable. Do you reuse them and if so, how much use do you get from each patch? I.e. how use/wash cycles, and/or how many hours of riding?

In theory they should be "washable" since they are made of a form of lycra. In practice I think that washing them would likely remove the adhesive on the other side.
I get about 4 to 6 uses out of them - which equates to around 120 to 180 miles.
However when I used them last year touring in France, I used them for around 4 days (which was anything between ~300 and ~370 miles).

So my basic conclusion is "yes it works" but at a price. :becool:
Having suffered from saddle sores in the past, for me it is a price worth paying because each time I get a sore I can be out of action for a week or two...:tongue:

Riding around in London traffic causes the worst friction because I'm always stopping, starting, changing positions and standing up when the paving is rough.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
mootaineer said:
In theory they should be "washable" since they are made of a form of lycra. In practice I think that washing them would likely remove the adhesive on the other side.
I get about 4 to 6 uses out of them - which equates to around 120 to 180 miles.
However when I used them last year touring in France, I used them for around 4 days (which was anything between ~300 and ~370 miles).

So my basic conclusion is "yes it works" but at a price. :becool:
Having suffered from saddle sores in the past, for me it is a price worth paying because each time I get a sore I can be out of action for a week or two...:tongue:

Riding around in London traffic causes the worst friction because I'm always stopping, starting, changing positions and standing up when the paving is rough.
Thanks for that information.

I'm okay up to about 3 hours, but I really start to suffer from saddle sores on longer rides, especially when it is hot. I've had cycling holidays in Spain almost ruined by the pain :smile:.

I think that it would be well worth paying £5 for 5 comfortable long rides so I think I'll buy some patches.

mootaineer

ColinJ said:
Thanks for that information.

I'm okay up to about 3 hours, but I really start to suffer from saddle sores on longer rides, especially when it is hot. I've had cycling holidays in Spain almost ruined by the pain :tongue:.

I think that it would be well worth paying £5 for 5 comfortable long rides so I think I'll buy some patches.

ParkerInternational used to be the only place you could buy them.
The other day I think I saw another shop selling them but I didn't save the bookmark :becool:.

If you don't get on with them let me know and I'll be happy to buy the remaining patches from you.

ColinJ

mootaineer said:
ParkerInternational used to be the only place you could buy them. The other day I think I saw another shop selling them but I didn't save the bookmark :tongue:.
I spotted Parker International and also Swinnerton Cycles

mootaineer said:
If you don't get on with them let me know and I'll be happy to buy the remaining patches from you.
Would you buy a used one for half-price :blush::becool:?

GrahamG

Guru
I'm sorry, but this thread has gone on too long without someone saying.....

Tynan said:
week of agony, week of sore than then it's fine and you wonder what the fuss was about

fossyant said:
You will get used to it though - and yess you can get some pain.... Expect a few other aches and pains as your body get's used to the position

mmace said:
is this a usual pain for beginners?
how long til it stops hurting?

Lisa1979 said:
Glad its not just me with a sore bum!

BentMikey said:
There is usually some breaking in period, together with a toughening up of the rear end as well

zimzum42 said:
your arse will hurt,

Bollo said:
Don't give up mmace!

cupoftea said:
I read somewhere that some of this pain is down to the muscles on the inside of legs up by your *&^^ getting over used.

marinyork said:
It'll hurt for a short while I'd have thought like everyone else says.

BentMikey said:
Go slower mate, there's no need to race. If you're getting out of breath slow down some more.

mootaineer said:
I'm always stopping, starting, changing positions and standing up

ColinJ said:

...anal sex just isn't for everyone.

ColinJ

[Almost ignores previous reference to anal sex... :blush:]

Well, I've got a fairly tough ride to do on Sunday (56 miles in the Forest of Bowland plus about 45 miles there and back) so I've taken the precaution of buying some Re-Skin patches. I paid about £23 for 5 from Parker International, including P&P.

It's the sort of route which would normally have me in major discomfort after about 50 miles so it'll be interesting to see if the patches do the trick. I'll report how I feel when I get back.

ColinJ

Wolf04 said:
Hmm, I agree about the importance of choosing good shorts, unfortunately I can't afford Assos!

I did two rides in Cornwall recently and wore different shorts for each ride. The first ride really hurt my bum and I thought that it wouldn't cope with another one. The insert in the shorts worn that day is okay for rides up to about 3 hours but isn't really good enough for longer rides such as the one I did. I only wore those shorts because they are 3/4 length and it wasn't a particularly warm day.

The sun came out and tempted me to ride a second day and that time I wore a pair of Northwave shorts which have a pretty decent insert. Despite the damage from the previous ride, I was much more comfortable on the second ride.

It looks as though I'll be wearing the less comfortable longer shorts on Sunday because the forecast is for a cool, overcast day. It will be a good test of the ReSkin patch.

Top Bottom